[sudo-discuss] Show high school seniors what a hackerspace is

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 12:45:49 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Karissa McKelvey
<karissa.mckelvey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey sudoers
>
> I'm teaching a web programming class of about 20 high school seniors
> (17-18 years old) who live in Oakland. They are primarily people of
> color and underprivileged in some way, having reached hardships enough
> to find themselves at a continuation high school due to bad grades.
>
> I'd like to bring them on a fieldtrip to sudo room/omni for an hour or
> two so they can see the tech, get a tutorial on 3d printers & see one
> in action. Maybe if people wanted to show off their projects they're
> working on, that'd be cool too!
>
> Anyone interested in this sort of thing?

Thanks for writing, Karissa! That sounds great and I'd love to help.

What timeframe were you thinking? If we set a date & time now, maybe
we can start organizing people around that. I'm down to give tours and
teach an intro to 3D printing. What are other sudoers down for?

I'm also including the "Omni Kids" email list. I'm not sure, but
there's a small chance that we have to wait until our legal situation
is clearer since we haven't yet passed a fire inspection and we don't
have an ADA bathroom. Hopefully someone on this mailing list knows for
sure what we're able to commit to right now!

Hope to keep in touch :)
yar