[sudo-discuss] new members

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Thu Jan 8 09:56:08 PST 2015

Hi, Yar!

I totally support the idea of making those questions mandatory.

It is super important that people who have the ability to change sudo room at
such a core level are able to understand exactly what they're getting into. I
can speak from experience when I've seen two hackerspaces completely fall
apart when individuals without the best interests of the space in mind end up
having the power to make radical change.

The reasons for knowing these things goes far beyond "making sure they know
what they're getting into". I know there are many long-time members of Sudo
Room who have very intense feelings about how the group works, makes its
decisions, gets things done, etc. If new people don't mesh with that, the
result is that people who do belong at Sudo Room end up getting pushed away in
favor of those who don't.