[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Proposed Safe Space Ban: Perry

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:54:34 PST 2015

It's really not cool to shut people down for speaking out against the continual barrage of complaining, mansplaining, boundary-transgressing, correcting and directing many of us experience daily from primarily - yes! surprise! cis men! [1]

In particular, tone policing [2] someone in the very thread where they're bravely calling out someone who sexually assaulted them is fucked up! Wrong way y'all! I am so grateful to Ryan for calling out so much of the bullshit I often just let slide, suffering silently. We really need to be more compassionate, kind, and forgiving - but also strong in setting boundaries and reinforcing our values if we endeavor to create a safe space at the Omni.

We still have a long way to go, and it's gonna be hard, and painful, and, and...

      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

augh. I feel so exhausted, angry, and frustrated right now.

I love you all, let's please do better and level up our empathy.

<3
Jenny

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender
[2] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Tone_argument