[sudo-discuss] Proposed Safe Space Ban: Perry

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 14:13:55 PST 2015

At some point email conversations, just as with in-person conversations,
can spiral into destructiveness with not much opportunity for anything
constructive to come out of it.

The overriding point here is mutual aid and love for and respect for one
another.

Korl is a wonderful human being who has done a great deal for omni - as has
ryan, jake etc.

Al is someone I at least have never met and does seem to be missing the
point that safe space was violated and compassion and conflict resolution
are the next steps. It's not a perfect process but Torrie's right, let's
not get so bogged down in process that we lose sight of the overall point
which is compassion towards Ryan who was accosted and how we can engage in
a process of transformative justice for all concerned so that this doesn't
happen again.

Let's also be a bit more forgiving of others' language that may not yet be
the most sensitive ways of discussing the issue, and educate them, giving
them the benefit if the doubt and assuming good faith until shown
otherwise.

Turning this into an thread of recriminations is not gonna solve the safe
space problem.

I do think Jake's point is germane, if Al has a history of trolling
elsewhere we as a community should know that. Al, if you are given to
criticism without functionally being present as an organizer at omni in
some capacity, please tone it down and show some sensitivity here. If you
are an organizer, please suggest a better way forward or improvements to
our policies so it is more clear, effective etc.

I think we need moderation on lists to cut down on these damaging
threads.. my 2c.

And Korl. We love love you!