[sudo-discuss] Board Meeting Notes

Maximilian Klein isalix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:42:22 PDT 2014

A:"You're basically an executive"
M:"I wish employers would see it that way"

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014-10-27

==Attendees ==
* potential: Vicky, April, Yar, Whitney, Jenny, Anca, Matt, Hol, Julio,
Scott
* actual: julio, cere, anca, yar, hol, max, vicky, scott, brendan, april,
matt, marc
* official board members here: julio, hol, max, vicky, matt, anca, marc
* quorum: 7. JUST BARELY.

==Next Meeting==
* Next Year's Meeting will be on: 2015-10-20. October the twentieth in two
thousand fifteen in the year of our lord, common era.
* Max will schedule email

 $ date -d 'Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:00 PM PDT' +%s
 1445392800

==501c3==
* Create an action plan and deadline to complete our 501(c)(3) application.
* Whitney, Vicky and April will bottom-line this. Julio is on stand-by.
* Since  our 501(c)(3) form has not been completed, we need to fill out
state form 3500 to convince California not to levy state taxes for last
year  (2013).

==State Tax things==
* Due Nov. 7.
* Matt, Julio and Hol will bottom line it and working on it tonight.

== CT1 ==
* did we file this last year?

== New Treasurer ==

Find a new Treasurer to replace Max.
General Responsibilities:
# be responsible for filing yearly taxes,
# deposit misc. funds into the bank account
# give out misc money that sudo room approves
# report to sudo room the state of finances.

Also, Fundraising:
* Additionally, since Sudo Room is once again receiving less income each
month than expenditure, a good Treasurer would have some fundraising ideas,
and/or want to execute other's ideas.

Who wants to do it?
* We're pretty sure treasurer is liable for all sudo's debts, and also
omni's debts since we're a signatory on the omni lease. But not 100% sure.
Also, people are saying if we get 501c3 that won't be an issue.
* Do we have a transparent sheet listing where all the money goes? Not
really but we can mine the meeting notes. It's pretty much just omni shared
expenses + internet.
* Anca's done stuff before. Mentions quickbooks.
* Matt points out membership roles: exchequer. separate from the
state-mandated role. they should be doing the work.
* To be very clear, our values don't call for a powerful treasurer
position. This is just something the state requires us to do. We will
absolutely limit their power and responsibility to that and only that.
* Vicky and Scott are both interested.
* Vicky wonders whether she's even a member anymore. But you don't have to
be a member to be on the board.
* lots and lots of debate over sudoroom's debt and hypothetical disaster
scenarios
* yet another tangent about dvorak keyboards
* shouldn't we figure out general board membership first?
* lots of confusion over our bylaws. we need to read them in full again.
they were just copied from noisebridge.
* you have to go to one meeting a year. that's really the bare minimum.
* apparently california also requires from a 501c3: president, secretary,
CEO, Treasurer and/or CFO
** http://www.nonprofitlawblog.com/treasurer-duties/
* marc is willing to do it
* unanimous vote of present board members, plus jenny remotely: Marc Juul
is our new treasurer, replacing Max Klein.

'''Voted 7-0 in favour of Making Marc Juul new Treasurer'''

== New People ==
Discuss refreshing the Board with a new set of members.
* Update Board page on the wiki: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Board
* who wants to be on the board this year? raise your hand: vicky, scott,
anca, julio, matt
* are we keeping the other folks?
* einstein could be chairdog
* last time everybody was nominated
* april wants to do it
* We'll put another round of nominations to the mailing list

==Address Change==
We have to notify California that our address has changed. We're no longer
at 2141 Broadway...

==Meeting Notes==

discussion about board members and role of the members. Who should be a
member?

==A third working group (Matt and Vicky and)==
Write a description fro board memebers
for treasurer,
then blast the list and announce for a timeline for nominating new board
members, and timeline for voting on them
then april will make an announcement at the general meeting this week

== outtake==

what was your favorite thing about this meeting?
* scott laughing at his jokes
* seeing all of you here!
* efficient. sudo meetings are getting shorter.
* low-key. and fixing my IDE.
* wine club. and everyone here.
* they already did everything when i got here
* chips & guac
* that we don't know what the hell we're doing
* the we accomplished our purpose - find a new treasurer
* that we had quorum, and that our next meeting is on Tuesday October 20th
2015

Make a great day,
Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/