[sudo-discuss] Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 22:14:12 PDT 2014

I remember this convo from college and i don't remember how it was resolved
then -

The justification for speaking from an identity position is that it gives
some authority on the subject being discussed, right? Or is it something
else?
If the argument is, 'I am Hispanic, so I have some expertise on this
issue,' then other Hispanics also have expertise on this issue. The
question, now put less bluntly, remains.

The question was, what is the difference between speaking from an identity
position and speaking for people who share your identity? It IS a subtle
distinction - so what is the distinction? If you're not trying to imply
something about the people that share your identity, then what is the
relevance of your identity?

I really don't think it's trolling to ask this, because I read lots of
places, not just here, this kind of argument. It looks like an argument
from authority, which is not really an argument.
Not to mention a lot of well meaning people miss the distinction, if any. I
had a guy say to me "I can't imagine what it's like to live in fear of
being raped every day." I was like 'fuck off, me either.' But he didn't
make that up, some other lady told him that was the lived experience of
womanhood, he just believed it.

Anyway happy Friday. I hope your party is fun.