[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Dustin

Ben Burke benjaminburke at me.com
Tue Oct 21 21:49:33 PDT 2014

I encountered Dustin on October 11th sitting outside the back door on that red swivel chair. He’s from Detroit and he flew out here late September/early October with like $150 and quickly exhausted it. He was almost done with his prelaw coursework back home but abandoned it because things were getting pretty scary in his neighborhood. I believe his story.  He was staying at the Maya Motel until the money ran out. So he’s homeless and destitute. I called around to the various easy bay homeless shelters on the 11th and couldn’t find a place for him, so I told him about calling 211. He’s got a phone and a laptop. I gave him some of the surplus FNB food on the 11th and told him I’d sponsor him to attend the BACH conference with me (and enjoy the free food). That night I made him leave with me and explained the rules about needing a sponsor to be in the space. He didn’t show up to the conference the next day and I didn't see him for at least a week after. I’ve seen him around a couple times since, but I haven’t spoken to him since the 11th. I really hope he can find some work and get off the streets.

He gave vague hints at a substance abuse problem. He has weird pragmatics but seems completely coherent. He definitely lied about not knowing the rules.

I personally feel safe around him, but I don’t vouch for him. If we don’t 86 him, I’d only sponsor him if I stayed with him the entire time.

He’s been wearing a baseball cap (blue?), glasses, an oversized black leather jacket, shorts and tennis shoes. He’s ~5’11”, caucasian, thin.