[sudo-discuss] laser cutter

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Jul 23 18:36:53 PDT 2014

i have visited two hackerspaces here in Toronto, including
http://hacklabs.to
and
http://torontotoollibrary.com

and it's clear that a hackerspace needs a laser cutter.  Sudoroom doesn't
have one yet, so we should start thinking about which one we will get.

I heard we had $12,000.00 too much in the bank, and here at TTL they have
a HUGE laser cutter called the Lasersaur.  It's a kit, sortof, but it's a
very serious machine.  It uses a 100 watt laser!  and that means it can
cut through 3/4" plywood (in multiple passes)

http://www.lasersaur.com/

okay maybe we're not ready for something like this quite yet, but when
we're ready we should keep it in mind.  We can skip over the step of
getting a cheap lame cutter like those other hackerspaces.

speaking of other hackerspaces, hacklabs has one from Universal Laser
Systems that they got off Craigslist for $500 because the controller was
fried.  They built a motor control system (the hard way) and then they had
a nice laser cutter!  I think it's 25 watts.

-jake