[sudo-discuss] laser cutter

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Wed Jul 23 19:30:39 PDT 2014

i would be into building one around a good laser. working on 4x8 CNC
build right now taking baby steps, but should have the x-y stage done in
the next 2 months. jake you're good at cnc builds, right? would be nice
to work on something for the space. if the linear stage is powerful
enough, it would be nice to have the option to slap on a plasma cutter
in place of the laser.

On 2014-07-23 18:36, Jake wrote:

> i have visited two hackerspaces here in Toronto, including http://hacklabs.to [1]
> and
> http://torontotoollibrary.com [2]
>
> and it's clear that a hackerspace needs a laser cutter. Sudoroom doesn't have one yet, so we should start thinking about which one we will get.
>
> I heard we had $12,000.00 too much in the bank, and here at TTL they have a HUGE laser cutter called the Lasersaur. It's a kit, sortof, but it's a very serious machine. It uses a 100 watt laser! and that means it can cut through 3/4" plywood (in multiple passes)
>
> http://www.lasersaur.com/ [3]
>
> okay maybe we're not ready for something like this quite yet, but when we're ready we should keep it in mind. We can skip over the step of getting a cheap lame cutter like those other hackerspaces.
>
> speaking of other hackerspaces, hacklabs has one from Universal Laser Systems that they got off Craigslist for $500 because the controller was fried. They built a motor control system (the hard way) and then they had a nice laser cutter! I think it's 25 watts.
>
> -jake

Links:
------
[1] http://hacklabs.to