[sudo-discuss] Call for Omni Working Group Participation!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:50:41 PDT 2014

Hi friends!

At last night's Omni governance meeting [0], we talked at length about
the current status of our working groups and how to go about
encouraging work to get done principally in these working groups. We
identified some issues, such as the same people bottom-lining and
participating in all of the working groups. In short, we need fresh
leadership!

Working groups should also be encouraged to work as they see fit -
which oftentimes is _not_ yet another weekly meeting, but perhaps a
bi-weekly work party, monthly hackathon, or mostly virtual collaboration.

Current working groups and bottom-liners as per the wiki:
1. Communication - Elaine and Jenny (requesting new bottom-liner) [1]
2. Challenging Dominant Culture - Kazoo & Margit (new bottom-liner[s]
needed) [2]
3. Legal & Governance - Niki [3]
4. Finances - Danny (has this group met?)

'Space Ops' never really got started, and there was a proposal to
replace this instead with two new groups in need of bottom-liners:
5. Building Maintenance - biweekly Tuesday work parties [4]
6. Common Space Coordinating

What follows are guidelines for working group functionality, also
posted on the wiki [5]:

_Working Group Protocols_

In order to make progress on many different aspects of this project,
please use the following protocols. The intention is to support
horizontal, consent-based, transparent, good-faith collaboration.

1. Start a Working Group
* Create Working Group wiki page and link to it here:
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Working_Groups
* Articulate "mission" or purpose, goals, and any tasks you already know.
* Schedule regular meetings and add them to the Calendar:
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Calendar
* Announce upcoming meetings on the omni-announce list at least 24
hours prior to meeting: omni-announce at lists.riseup.net

2. Hold Working Group Meetings
* Before the meeting begins, designate a facilitator and a scribe to
take notes
* Conclude the meeting with Outcomes or Action Items and schedule next
meeting
* Post meeting notes to the wiki on the Event page (making it
discoverable through the calendar)
* Prepare report-back for weekly Omni Collective meeting.

3. Join a Working Group
* Check the Calendar [5] and attend the next meeting of the working group.
* Directly contact the individual(s) bottom-lining the group.
* Show up to a meeting, or use the communication channel specified for
that group to stay in touch.

4. Make Progress in a Working Group
* Set goals that aspire to deliver on the working group's "mission" or
purpose.
* If necessary, outline tasks in order to reach each goal.
* Make progress on and seek to accomplish any tasks that contribute to
the working group's goals.
* When a working group's goals require feedback, formal approval, or
simply consent from the Omni Collective, create a proposal:
** Present this proposal to the Omni Collective delegates meeting to
ensure each member-group can build consent in their respective
community as necessary.
* When a working group has several divergent options or ideas and
cannot come to resolution on them alone, then create proposals that
represent these options and present these in some way to the whole
collective:
** Present proposals at an Omni Collective meeting for feedback
** Ask for feedback on the omnilogistics at lists.riseup.net email list
** Ask for feedback from other working groups, member-groups, or
individuals that are not involved with your working group.
** Rinse, repeat until you have garnered improvements to your proposal
from the invaluable experiences and contributions of everyone involved
with the omni collective, ultimately building consensus among the
entire collective.

[0] http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Event:2014/07/22_Governance_Meeting
[1] http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Communications_Working_Group
[2]
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Challenging_Dominant_Culture_Working_Group
[3]
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/index.php?title=Legal_and_Governance_Working_Group&action=edit&redlink=1
[4]
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Event:2014/07/06_Omni_Building_Maintenace
[5] http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Calendar
- --
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé