[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [omnilogistics] Fwd: Progress and Info

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:11:04 PDT 2014

 Hey all,

Figured forwarding this note from the Omni landlord is better than trying
to repeat or summarize. This was sent to the Omni Logistics list. Stand
back and brace yourself!

[From John]:

Here is the status of our vacation (is that appropriate?).

   - Sudo Room:
      - Have cleaned out all of our stuff except as follows (excluding
      stuff we already discussed, like wood and pallets):
      - To-do:
         - Clear out a stack of old Xerox cartridges.  These are in boxes
         with postage paid labels.  It used to be that Xerox would
remit $5 (maybe
         it was $3) upon receipt.  I don't known if they still do.  At
any rate,
         they do recycle--just a matter of affixing the label and
mailing I think.
         On desk against dressing room.
         - Shelve several boxes of Sci American and Communications of the
         ACM in the basement offices.  On desks against dressing rooms.
         - Dispose of a wooden shower chair, some various stacking or
         folding chairs and possibly an old trunk--I don't recall.  I
think these
         will go if just left on the sidewalk, if that's not too
unattractive next
         to your building.
         - Get the Go books out (thanks for the sign).  David Doshay has
         promised to pick them up around 11-ish tomorrow (Friday) he
will ring the
         bell and I will be awaiting him.
         - Throw away some trash on the desk island, I don't recall what.
         - There may be a ring of keys I want to look at to  see if they
         fit some of your doors (more later).
         - Discard a gray shelf that seems to have been damaged by a heavy
         box.
         - I think Herb left some stuff in the left dressing room--you guys
         may have already disposed of.
      - We hope to retrieve
         - A lawn mower, last seen in upper right corner
         - Some personal papers (like old bank statements) in several
         plastic or cardboard boxes under the tables in lower right
corner) I wish
         to take to the shredder-place.
         - As many as 5 banquet tables and hollow core doors, if there are
         still plenty.
      - Have left the following
         - Some little things like light switch covers I put in the paint
      shelf, just because I didn't want to throw them away. There are
also 5 big
      wheels--these go to the rolling pallet under the stack of doors (I
      think it needs 6). Just like the rolling pallet under the stack of large
      white papers..
    - A couple of boxes of cassette tapes (like songs) and a player, on a
      desk.
      - A fiche-reader, a couple of old computers on the top shelf, and a
      scanner or two of unknown condition, maybe other stuff.
      - Lots of dust on the floor--I think the best way is sweeping
      compound I ran out of.  Not from Home Depot; I'll tell you where if you
      wish.
      - Quite a few fire extinguishers.  They are at least 10 years old,
      but most of them read green.
      - Two black grates and two blue.  The blue are from upper
      windows--for  example, the one just above the awning.  I took it off to
      satisfy some city functionary who was worried about fire egress.  One
      black, I don't know.  One other black is the middle hand railing leading
      from the barroom to the auditorium.  I took it off to get the baby grand
      inside (now gone, but the pro movers wouldn't have needed to remove that
      railing).  The ramp would still  fit.  It was secured by lag
bolts or what,
      that may have dropped inside.
      - A loom in condition only Mary knows, under the landing.
      - Two blue metal cabinets holding up a door tabletop.  Inside are
      toilet flappers and valves, a urinal valve (more later), a "Corduct" for
      covering extension cords. and a stairs rope-light.
      - File cabinets against outside wall and a desktop.  This desktop
      along with two more above safes, goes on top of some floating
desk drawers.
      - Little green garbage bin.  Supposedly to keep food scrap and put
      them in big green can.. We never used it.
   - Note that there are drains against the outside wall which drain to a
   sump pump in dressing room.  I do not know if these actually drain the
   floor properly.
   .

Cooler room:

   - To-do:
      - Get rid of  boxes I was storing for a friend.  These have been
      repacked, and waiting for UPS.  Supposedly they will come by to pick
      up--but I have been too occupied to arrange.
      - Dispose of some "hazardous" category items--fluorescent tubes and
      paint/paint-like cans.
      - Dispose of voluminous CA cash refund cans and bottles.  I notified
      someone who will notify the guy who usually picks them up.
Cannot say for
      sure when.  Just tell me and I will put them outside--I
guarantee they will
      be instantly picked up.
   - Cooler has been emptied.
   - Finally cleared out the rug and under-layment scraps--bulky took, even
   though the guidelines said I had to cut down to 4-foot lengths.
   .

Utility room

   - There are 3 breaker boxes, the main power supply and the telephone
   switch board.  There is a pipe across one threshold--I think this is just
   an electrical ground.
   - There are 3 gray recycling cans, one green waste can, and one brown
   garbage can.  I guess you already know about these.  Leaving 3 full gray
   cans out has never been a problem.  Leaving extra green waste in garbage
   can works too--for example if you trim the evergreen trees.  Garbage nights
   are Tuesdays.
   - Except for the main panel cover, this room has been finished -- even
   pressure washed, but the white paint is very stained.  Please borrow my
   pressure washer if you want to,.
   - The main panel.  Sorry this has not yet been fixed, There is ongoing
   effort,
   - The drain for the sink.  I believe blocked by plaster.  The pipe goes
   left under the concrete.  The best effort so far has been with a
   rubber-ball like device that goes onto the faucet to apply pressure.  The
   last time it was done the drain worked but slowly.  But easily
   clogged--drain cleaner may help some.
   - The fan plugs in and the plug may reach the socket near the main box,
   but that's a stretch.  There was a socket under the fan but that was
   cannibalized by an electrician (not Mike) who installed some sockets in out
   room directly above.  I'll  ask Mike if it is legal for him to restore the
   socket.
   - There is a timer for an outside light next to the sink (more later).
   .

 Basement

   - To-do:
    - Dispose of the stack of cardboard boxes next to kitchen.  I believe I
      can tie these up an leave them for weekly recycling.
      - Dispose of any monitors in the kitchen shelves.
      - Dispose of some items -- step-stool, mop, what?  beyond the law
      books just past the closet door.  Oh, the closet light doesn't work--may
      need a bulb.
      - Retrieve the dark brown bookcase in the corner past the first bend.
      - My cousin is storing some items he wishes to move out, in the two
   shelves in that upper left corner of the basement against the outside wall.
   - Both pantry lights are out.  The pantry on the left as you enter the
   kitchen seems to have a good bulb.  It may be the breaker box in the other
   pantry--I may have already tried though.  The light in the other pantry
   (next to the furnace room) may just lack a bulb because that is hard to get
   to.
   - The left pantry is also open to he furnace room--I believe the panels
   are there, ready to be screwed back in.
   - Going up the back stairs to auditorium there are some built-in
   cabinets with coke glasses and what looks like lots of table legs.
   - The wall switch for the right hand lights (what's left of them) is
   high on the right after you come down the stairs.
   - The wall switch for the basement ventilation is also there--but this
   is disconnected (more later).
   - There is what I think was a telephone patch panel in the upper left
   corner as you come down the stairs--I'm just guessing.
   - The sink next to the stairway seem to be noisy lately.  I will be
   happy to have mike look at the faucet.  Also the drinking fountain does not
   drain.  I never tried to fix it.
   - Locks: We may have keys to some doors--in particular, the double room
   with the Christmas decor.  When we moved in we had a locksmith go around
   and change locks to a few doors--all for the same key.  We should have the
   keys to the office doors.
   .

 Barroom:

   - To-do
    - Take Joe Brignole's ballroom ball, packed in a cardboard box, in the
      little cubby against the 48th St.wall.
      - Take those two little roll-around chairs that were near our far
      stairs.  These will be very useful to us.
      - Dispose of the wallboard behind the sandwich counter, unless you
      guys want it, and clean up there..  Note that there are many places that
      need wall board repair for example the stage and next to two of
the circuit
      breaker boxes.
      - Take the long extension-ladder which used to be on the bar
      counter--I heard you guys moving it to some better place last
night.  Note
      there is a shorter one that once was on the floor behind the bar, we're
      leaving.
      - The shopping carts we would eventually like to possess--so very
   handy when bringing home groceries.  We'd like to leave them downstairs,
   for anyone's use if we can get to them doing our short stay here.
   - Mike will put a mail slot in our first door, with your permission.
   - Restrooms:  As you may know only the middle urinal in the men's room
   flushes.  The first one is uninviting--the third one has a paper bag in the
   way.  Someone removed that bag and may have used it.  FYI, I put the bucket
   back under the sink which I use to flush whenever I made such a mistake.
   Someone asked me if I had any urinals--jokingly I presume, but as you may
   know there are three more in the adjacent women's room hidden by a
   curtain.   Also, I left a toilet paper holder in the toilet room area, not
   installed.
   - Many thanks to Nicky for cleaning up behind the big bar and gathering
   the items we didn't want but would have had to dispose of.
   .

 Auditorium:

   - To-do:
    - Get Mike to fix the wetbar lights.  He says he might have flipped a
      circuit breaker when he put either of the face plates on--the one on the
      balcony or the one in the adjacent room with Christmas lights.  We tried
      the balcony, so it might be the other one.
      - Dispose of the big Window.  Someone claimed it but changed their
      mind.  If you guys have no use for it, we will dispose,
      - Clean up the little janitorial room in the far corner of the main
      floor, next to the stage.  There may be a rat skeleton (sorry).
      - Patch sink.  There is a teeny hole in the last sink.  I have a
      bucket under it.  I propose to put a little Liquid Nails or similar in it.
      - Retrieve the Linksys router--whenever you are finished with it.
      - Let me know if you need the Comcast coax to be rerouted to come in
      upstairs--I'll call them.  At the very minimum I will use cable
ties so the
      cable stays cornered.
      - Retrieve the 6 wheels under the three tables.  When you get them
      moved to where you want them we will be happy to have them back.  As well
      as the two white food carts at some point.
      - There are two sets of lighting in the front.  One is operational,
   controlled by the inner switch as you go into the double door cubby hole
   (counter-intuitive).  The second has been sealed off and terminates in two
   electrical boxes on either side of the outside door.  I think these were
   used to power the fluorescent lights of a big Omni awning that was there.
   This is controlled by one of the circuit breakers in the little room to the
   left of the stage.  This also powers an electrical box on the bottom of the
   balcony just above the cloak cabinet or going into the chair room.
   Incidentally, I saved the part of the awning with the OMNI logo.  I hope I
   didn't discard it.  If I didn't it would be in the sudo room somewhere.
   - The lights under the balcony against the parking lot wall are
   controlled by a switch just inside the janitorial door to the far right.
   As is, the switch is on--and all bulbs are loosened, so I could readily
   turn the one I wanted on.
   - Oops! I left an old towel in the men's room--I was sure I would be
   able to clean the room before I left.  We do not claim.  You might find
   some toilet paper behind the toilet in the far stall.  That was a test
   piece--let me know if it shows any signs of water--I'll alert Mike.
   - The light switch in the closet under the stairway--I know has a bad
   cover.  Sorry I didn't get to it, but I think there are covers on the sudo
   paint cabinet.  Any problems, let me know.
   - We occasionally smell sewer in the auditorium.  This is usually cured
   by pouring water down the drain behind the wetbar--far corner.   I expect
   this is because of a small trap that evaporates more quickly than most
   - The balcony lights--you found the breaker, great.  I do not know where
   the wall switch is if indeed there is one.  There are unknown-use switches
   going up the far stairs to the balcony.
   - There is a 16-ft stepladder hidden behind the stage curtain.  You'll
   need this to change bulbs in the chandeliers--and there is a small supply
   of bulbs in the sudo paint cabinet.
   - The big grate is from a dismantled stage extension.
   - Under the stage: Some carpet-protectors and some metal-halide lamps--a
   big lamp and a transformer.  I heard that the light is real white.  1000
   watts I think--don't get fingerprints on the glass they say.
   - I left lots of knick knacks on the lawyer-office bookcase on the
   stage, and some video tapes.  If you don't want them I will be happy to
   dispose of them.
   - As I mentioned, the filling seen in the front windows we tested--no
   asbestos.  I removed the stuff around the semicircular window and found
   part of the bag that contained it--some kind of gypsum.  I left this bag in
   the chair room on the first shelf against the outer wall, far to the left.
   If and when you remove that board, people will take the stuff.  I filled
   about 20 garbage bags from the semicircular window and put it on craigslist
   free.  I got a quick response and someone came by and was so happy to get
   it.
   - Women's room: Has one Todo low-flush toilet.  It was running over
   lately.  Mike fixed it--but let me know if there are problems.  Once we had
   a toilet supply line break and it flooded the chair room--not the major
   damage to the wall with lathe--that happened before I arrived.  The floor
   has a drain, but it appears the edges weren't sealed.  Marvin and I went
   around the floor and applied sealant--but this was an amateur job.  I did
   not test it.
   - The stairway to the women's room has no lighting--except for the night
   light lamp we left which is not a nice solution.  I once installed a
   "rope-light" on the stairway but it soon just burned out.  There is another
   one in the sudo room right hand blue metal cabinet--same brand though.
   - Both exhaust fans have new motors (10 years ago) but the one nearest
   the stage -is-noisy.  Mike oiled the fan blade bearings but still noisy.
   .

 Ground floor kitchen

   - I think we are OK here.  Note that the freezer has a flash-defrost
   pull-knob in the lid.  When you close the door it gets pushed in.
   .

 Outside:

   - To-do:
    - I will repair the cuts in the awning (vandalism).
      - I plan to paint over the graffiti with white. The grey paint
      unfortunately I recycled so I don't have the shade. I bought
from Frazee up
      the street, but I called their new San Leandro place and they
couldn't find
      my account. I will take a sample and try to get it matched with
Kelly-Moore
      down Telegraph.

    - Yow! The bulky pickup guy came back.  He passed it up yesterday
      because scavengers had made a big mess--it looks like they just turned
      boxes upside down looking for gold.  Herb and I repackaged it
and they only
      did a little damage last night.  I will get the sidewalk swept.
      - There is a timer in the utility room next to the sink for the 48th
   St. light.  Not good coverage because of the trees.  It may be currently
   set to go on from say 9-11, I don't remember.
   - There is an electrical box above the corner door accessible from our
   window and a timer in our cabinet.  I suppose it was for a big Omni sign.The
   BID does a good job of keeping the front sidewalk cleaned.
   - We're the 2nd & 4th weeks for sweeping: Monday across 48th and on this
   side of Shattuck.  Tuesday, the other side.
   .

 Maintenance:

   - Soon I will have the heating people to inspect the heating system--the
   one in the concrete room on a platform, and the four in the basement.
   These are 2 for the auditorium, 1 for the basement, and 1 for the
   basement.  FYI:Air-conditioning can be added.
   - I will also schedule a termite inspection at my expense.