[sudo-discuss] Elevator Upgrade

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:10:24 PST 2014

David,

Hmm, we definitely got the increase, I expected ya'll would too, but do not
know. It is in our contract and is not very much (~inflation) so in my
opinion no harm no foul.

Chris,

I understand where everyone is coming from. I just don't have much faith in
line-drawing at this point. Believe me, I am generally an incredibly
principled person--almost to a fault. However, in this instance, I would
rather practice caution and savvy over a confrontation given all the energy
I and others have spent to smooth over our current relations.

For instance, whenever I can, I clean the elevator and bathrooms, as well
as take out all the trash. I am constantly addressing folks about their use
of the common space (usually to inform them that something indeed,
surprisingly, yes, must be cleaned and not left messy, especially because
this space is common to other folks and tenants), ensuring it stays closer
to the landlords' standards (which it barely barely does some of the time).
I clean the kitchenette including others' dishes, vacuum, remove
unnecessary furniture items, move materials back into sudo room,  and
others do similar things as well. This is an investment in the very basic
agreement that the main space remain common, shared with others, that
ultimately builds report and trust with the landlords.

So, from my point of view, I see this situation as "Do we want the elevator
fixed or not?" and essentially I lean more toward negotiate and get it
fixed. Otherwise, I think we'd expect a much longer, more complicated
affair with little resolution.

That's just my opinion **shrugs**

This is consistent with asking for a written notice e.g.:  "George, can you
send us a written notice over email about the elevator, including a quote
and what you need from the sudo room?" then talk about our options.

// Matt