[sudo-discuss] Pinnacle of cultural diversity

amber yada amberyadaanimation at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 18:38:24 PDT 2013

lots of thoughts on this! i will try to bullet-point. but first, if there's
anything of real value to share in this email, it's this
link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ApaGvYT5QFGOIowvGwooCOeTEv8elAy7lwW6QnU-6XU/edit>,
which outlines some of the less talked-about aspects of white supremacist
culture and antidotes to help organizations + individuals become aware of
them and work toward alternatives. it's actually a good resource for a
groups' daily operational kinds of things, real practical stuff.

anthony, in response to your email:
1. i agree with you that balance must be kept. in bay area community
exchange, we are usually so busy getting basic shit taken care of (or at
least attempted), we ignore engaging in some of these deeper questions
*together.
*it is actually very powerful work to look internally as a group. but it is
also scary. in my experience, the external receives the prime focus *all
the time*, which is not a balance. then we are scratching our heads saying,
wow why is there such a concentration of white leadership here? and
following that, non-white groups and individuals see clearly that it is not
their group. to be clear, i'm not advocating collective catharsis on how
terrible are those of us who are white and privileged individuals. but
people should be engaging in some basic "racism 101" on a regular basis. a
la this pdf<http://collectiveliberation.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/catalyzing%20liberation%20toolkit.pdf>that
came out of of occupy, or some links listed
here <http://organizingforpower.org/anti-oppression-resources-exercises/>.*

*special note: white people engaging in racism awareness is like the bare
minimum, and it shouldn't be about making white people feel good, a pat on
the back, being smug in knowing anti-racist stuff.

2. the first article link you shared... it actually states the opposite of
what i have experienced and read and heard and basically how i think.
blaming the failure of this group on the "divisiveness" argument is one
that oppressed groups face all the time, and it is weak. sometimes things
fall apart because a movement is still building a solid center. or because
the leadership was too white and/or too male. have to be honest. not
honoring and understanding divisions is a mistake. when people are asked to
"table" their groups' needs for the greater good, guess who always has to
do the sacrificing? this has been documented heavily in feminist histories,
for example. it's especially clear when looking at white-led feminist
movements, where everything from abolition of slavery to islamophobia to
forced sterilization to the racial wage gap is "divisive" and somehow
impeding the advancement of the cause (i.e. those who would most benefit,
those likeliest not to threaten white patriarchy entirely). *right now*, it
seems, is *never* the right time for raising a "back-burner" issue, one
that might mean life or death for people in a movement's "subgroup." also
when looking from a woman's perspective at many liberation movements that
came to be dominated by males, similar stories emerge. women's needs are
always sidelined, "single-issue," and of course "divisive." add to this the
fact that we are all socialized to act in accordance with our identity
locations, so yes people act out their proscribed role in group dynamics
very often, even when there is an awareness of what's going on. engaging
with this and learning from it regularly is medicinal.

3. the info on boyd was interesting. i don't think that looking at
oppression internally as individuals and in groups is divisive from a
strategic military standpoint. no. we are already divided. we are divided
and don't even know our enemy. without incisive critique of capitalism's
personal monster, white heteropatriarchy, how do we really describe our
common enemy?---the force that has been dividing us all our lives, dividing
us since european contact here, dividing us throughout history and empires,
as you point out. but in our current situation, i don't see how working as
groups to understand racism connects to this. i see trying to "look past"
(i.e. ignore) our differences, be "colorblind," and just try to gain
numbers for mass uprising as a strategy that falls more into boyd's vision.
because that's a sure way to have our divisions eat us alive, by not
addressing them. a larger movement rooted in collective liberation, the
self-determination of racial groups and oppressed/marginalized groups, and
the people who can really truly fight for it---this vision requires a lot
of internal strength, difficult work, consciousness and love. we are not
there yet. the things that catalyze us, we cannot usually control. but
there are things that keep us from being ready when that time comes, and i
know that fear of looking at "the enemy within" is a huge one.

so much for bullet-pointing. anyway, yes to get back to the main
conversation, talk about inclusion needs to also talk about solidarity.
also, *who *is doing the "including" and why? and not falling into a
target-marketing mentality around the issue of multiculturalism.
multiculturalism isn't enough anyway, *groups of people*, not just
individuals of non-white identities, need to feel safe, represented,
understood, and with unimpeded access to power and decision-making.

definitely more on this later, and i would love to hear more and brainstorm
answers to marina's questions (*what are the conditions that contribute to
us currently not meeting our inclusivity goals and what can we do to start
meeting them?* *what can we all be doing to make the space more inclusive
and welcoming?)*
*
*
add'l questions: what are the current goals? and is there a recommended
spot for any of the links from this email on the wiki?
*
*
okay, time for dinner!

-amber