[sudo-discuss] Pinnacle of cultural diversity

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 19:48:51 PDT 2013

These are very interesting points, amber, and like Max I learned a lot from
that video for reasons like his, and the emphasis it put on working
together in collaboration is something I appreciate very much and it
informed me in reading the rest. Thanks for sharing!

I also look forward to more about your idea of using the timebank in sudo
room.

I noticed in a point in your notes, the passage, "it is definitely the most
effective tool, because it turns our attention inward," which reminded me
in a concerning way of two things that I would like to share in the
discussion.

The first is an account I was recently reading and discussing in another
context about the experiences of the Northeast Student Action Network, a
large, ambitious, and promising attempt at radical organizing that
collapsed quickly, according to the author due to issues with excessive and
unnecessarily confrontational inward focus:
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/2182

For the second, first some background. I lived briefly in Washington DC
during the time when the US invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan were new and
vigorous debate was still happening around all aspects of them. A friend of
mine worked at a liberal think tank advocating military reform and scaling
back of imperial ambitions, and we both opposed the invasions and often
discussed much deeper aspects of the invasions and the context around them
than are often found in the media in hopes of finding viable political
approaches to opposing them. I learned a lot from him in these discussions
about many things but the one relevant here is the military's doctrines of
counterinsurgency.

Counterinsurgency is military jargon for techniques useful for undermining
effective opposition in invaded areas and keeping subject populations in
check. Recent, especially post-cold-war military doctrine focuses heavily
on this question because it is the bulk of what the military does without
any other superpowers around to oppose. A theorist by the name of John Boyd
is very influential in a major school of thought on counterinsurgency and
in modern military theory in general. Boyd did his major work during the
post-Vietnam-war and post-civil-rights era when major political and
military concerns were avoiding the same kind of defeat experienced in
Vietnam and the same kind of widespread, effectively organized civil
disobedience as in the civil rights movement. His ideas have also become
prominent in business and other areas where adversarial and/or adaptive
behavior are involved.

One of Boyd's key ideas is that of tempo, according to which the main goal
is to disorient and confuse the enemy so that their focus will "collapse
inward" and they will be incapable of effectively engaging with their
environment. Once the enemy is focusing inward, according to the theory,
they are incapable of resisting and easily dealt with however the aggressor
chooses.

Another of Boyd's key ideas is that of moral warfare, summarized in
wikipedia as "the destruction of the enemy's will to win, disruption of
alliances (or potential allies) and induction of internal fragmentation.
Ideally resulting in the "dissolution of the moral bonds that permit an
organic whole [organization] to exist." (i.e., breaking down the mutual
trust and common outlook mentioned in the paragraph above.)" It is a
development of the idea of divide-and-rule that has been a very effective,
documented tool of empire and oppression since ancient times and on into
the present.

All these suggest to me that a careful balance must be maintained between
inward focus and outward focus on mutual collaboration towards the goals
that brought the people in the organization together. A group with
revolutionary aspirations that allows an excessive or divisive inward focus
to undermine pursuit of the group's goals inflicts on itself a condition
that militaries and empires past and present have used as a main tool of
oppression and subjugation and to prevent effective resistance from
forming. The main strength of the oppressed may be the strength in numbers
and cooperation is the means of nurturing this strength and using it to
effect meaningful change for good.