[sudo-discuss] Openwrt success! ...now what? Fun/useful networking projects?

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 13:27:29 PST 2013

Gals 'n guys: I am rather pleased with myself. Last night I was able to
install OpenWRT, a free firmware replacement, on a D-Link router.

If I were able to get QoS working on it (I haven't been), there's a
possibility I might put this to use as my main router.

But considering that that's a long shot for me (I'm not exactly one to go
around building my own linux kernels and such, though I'm not necessarily
opposed to trying...) I'm looking for ideas about fun projects to try with
it.

I know there's a group working on neighborhood mesh networks, and would be
super psyched to experiment if there's anybody within range of my house!
(Adeline betw. 32nd and 34th.) Unfortunately I can't make Thursday evening
meetings, or I'd come check in with you guys in person.

Any other fun projects anybody would suggest?

Also, as long as I'm on the topic -- I have a few network devices I'm not
currently using, and would gladly loan/donate (or in the case of the last
2, maybe sell for a few bucks) to anybody looking to hack on them (or just
put them to use).

   - Netgear ADSL 2+ modem DM111P (note, this is a v1, which I was *not*
   able to get to work in bridging mode for my Sonic connection. It should be
   fine if you want to use its built-in routing capabilities.)
   - Linksys 802.11b router with 4 port switch (BEFW11S4 v4 -- yeah, it's
   ancient :)
   - Belkin N300 wireless router/switch (model F9k1002 v4)
   - Arris DOCSIS 3 cable modem with 2 phone jacks (model TM722G)

Pete