[sudo-discuss] there are no LPFM slots on the FM band in the bay area, period.

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Nov 1 17:33:25 PDT 2013

For everyone who has been hearing this talk about getting an LPFM lisence
for sudoroom (which would be absolutely impractical, impossible and
inappropriate) you can stop wasting your time by acknowledging one fact:

the LPFM rules currently require "2nd adjacency" meaning there have to be
at least two empty notches on the radio dial (each odd tenth is a notch)

it is _possible_ to apply for a waiver of 2nd adjacency, but the only way
it is accepted is in extreme circumstances where there just happens to be
overlap in an UNPOPULATED area.  This does not apply to the bay area.

If you want to read about it, here's the link:
http://home.recnet.com/lpfm-second

there are zero FM slots in the greater bay area without a 2nd adjacent.

as someone who has helped several LPFM stations get started and stay on
the air, and who personally lobbied the FCC for the Local Community Radio
Act, I can tell you unequivocally that even if there were a frequency open
for sudoroom, we would be very foolish to apply for, let alone accept,
such a thing.

i really don't want to talk about it so please don't reply to me.

thank you
-jake