[sudo-discuss] 3D Printer - needs new heating element

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Nov 13 23:15:09 PST 2013

Hi folks,

I cut off the rubber heatshrink stuff and looked at the extruder, and sure
enough the resistor block is very loose.  This means it has a lot of
thermal resistance to the extruder tube and temperature sensor.  So the
resistor can get very hot and still not heat up the temperature sensor, so
the result is the computer turns on the resistor until it burns out.

The solution is to replace the resistor (or the whole aluminum block if
necessary) and this time, make sure the nut is tight holding the assembly
together.

this can be tricky because even though it gets tightened when built, the
assembly heats up and the brass parts expand and change shape against each
other - and that will create looseness.  I think it will be necessary to
tighten the parts against each other regularly to make sure they don't
loosen.

the marlin firmware should have some safety stop for the heater, when it
notices that too much energy has gone in and not enough warming.  But it
surely doesn't have that.

As for kapton tape, i put a couple feet of it on the bottom of the
printing platform.  The original fiberglass heatshrink wrappers for the
sextruder are on the "floor" under the platform, and after the repairs
they can be reinstalled and then taped back together with the kapton.

I asked marc to create a new mailinglist, 'sudo-prints' which will allow
everyone concerned with the 3d printer (and other printers) to communicate
about the stuff.  That way, we can put a note on each printer saying
"email sudo-prints at lists.sudoroom.org for help working this printer"

importantly, it will mean that a search of the archives of this list will
be a concentrated dose of community wisdom about whatever printers we
have.. and there are a lot now.

By the way, at home I am making my type-a-machine print solder paste.

-jake