[sudo-discuss] there are no LPFM slots on the FM band in the bay area, period.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Fri Nov 1 17:56:00 PDT 2013

(Replying to list):  There's a potentially interesting strategy that
might be worth pursuing, though probably not for SR:

Much of the radio spectrum is crowded with religious radio stations.
Most of these are versions of right-wing evangelical Christianity: one
very narrow denominational slice of the huge spectrum of diversity about
religion (by which I also include atheism and agnosticism since these
are espousing _beliefs about_ religious subject matter).

The case could be made, and should be made by an organization with the
backing to do it, that this state of affairs contravenes FCC policies by
failing to provide adequate representation for more diverse religious
viewpoints: in effect, an "establishment of religion by default."

What I'd love to see happen, somewhere, is for a strong organization,
representing a wide range of minority religious views (again, also
including atheism and agnosticism, which are actually pretty large
pluralities in the Bay Area), to challenge the licenses of one or more
of the existing religious broadcasters in an area, and seek to gain a
license to replace it.

This wouldn't be low-power, it would be a conventional higher-powered
station with a wide reach and full-time broadcast schedule.  It could be
operated as a commercial or non-commercial station.  The general plan
for the station would be to represent a wide slice of the religious and
philosophical viewpoints in the coverage area, minus those that already
have their own stations.

-G.

=====