[sudo-discuss] reminder: this email list is Google-able

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon May 6 00:40:20 PDT 2013

Anthony & Yo's-

Big Brother's cannibal menu is large, so there's no shortage of places
to remove ourselves from it.  Whether or not it's possible to remove
ourselves from all of it at once, isn't a good reason to declare
pre-emptive surrender and give up all hope and all resistance.

The FBI can prosecute you for crimes, but you can cross-examine them in
court, in front of a jury.  But what happens when you get turned down
for a job, or an apartment, or a mortgage, or credit, because of
something in your online "profiles"?  The Bradley Mannings and Aaron
Swartzes of the world are seen by many as heroes, whose struggles become
causes.  But the unemployed and homeless of the world are seen as
"losers," whose struggles are attributed to their own personal failings
rather than the logical result of the oppressive grinding of the gears
of oligarchy.

More and more, employment applications and even credit applications are
decided on the basis of "profiles," aka dossiers, that the privatized
control-state collects on each and every one of us with our every
mouse-click and typed word.

Which consequence is more likely to happen to any of us or anyone else
we know?  That they'll become a political cause? or that they'll become
an economic casualty?   How many people have been dragged off to Gitmo,
vs. how many have been fired and foreclosed or evicted?

The fear of Gitmo is like the fear of being in an airplane crash: a
horror to be sure, but a highly unlikely event.  But the fear of
unemployment and homelessness is so pervasive it's like the stink of
garbage for someone who lives next to a landfill: it's in the air we
breathe to the point where we almost don't bother commenting on it.
None the less it lingers in the background, stinking up our homes and
clothes, interfering with the taste of our food, causing a constant
low-level headache to the point where popping aspirin seems like the
normal state of affairs.

The private-sector Stasi, the private control-state, is where the power
is, and where the power is actually used, on a mass scale that impacts
millions of lives including each of our own.

As for "every telephone conversation," why do you think I'm trying to
build an alternative telco?  The mason works with concrete, the
carpenter works with wood, the plumber works with water pipes, the
electrician works with wires, and the roofer works with shingles.  Each
by themselves can't build the whole house, but all of them working
together, can.

-G.

=====