[sudo-discuss] cuddling it

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Fri May 3 18:38:52 PDT 2013

Depends on what the goal is.

Originally this was presented as having a goal of shifting the language
usage in the culture at-large.

OK, so we come up with one example ("killing it"), and then it turns out
that the example may have been appropriated from the African American
community: uh-oh, if we go after that example it may appear that a bunch
of nerds (conventionally thought of as white) are engaging in some kind
of outsider-critique of someone else's community (black).

That would be a mess, but we don't even have to go there: we have
examples in our own subculture such as "killer app," and I'm suggesting
we clean up our own house first by going after those.

Analogy: Violence in media.  "Violent lyrics in rap music!" Uh-oh, same
uh-oh as with "killing it."  Contrast to "violence in video games,"
which does _not_ have potential implications involving race.

We have enough mess to clean up in our own back yard before we have any
reasonable basis to venture forth into others' back yards where we might
be seen as busybodies or worse.

The place where that principle does not apply is when one community is
under attack from members of another: for example where racism or
discrimination are occurring, the targeted minority has every right to
counterattack the culture of the attacking majority.  But that's not
occurring here.

The additional issue, which wasn't the original issue behind "cuddling
it" (or "cuddler app" for that matter;-) is cultural appropriation.

Each of these is a distinct issue, with connections to other issues, but
there's a difference between recognizing those connections vs. lumping
all of it together to the point where nothing can be done.

Re. Anthony:

Anthony gets the award for "most-compact elucidation of a large &
complex dynamic" for his item, "...(the) existential struggle among
companies to achieve a position of oligarch in a crony capitalist market
by killing off the competition once and for all and salting the earth
they ate from with regulations and collusions so nothing will ever grow
there again."

Oligarchy & crony capitalism:  One thing we _really really need to deal
with_ is economic class.  There has been, in the Bay Area, an
undercurrent of tension between "proletariat" and "lumpenproletariat"
worldviews, and the analysis of the potential nexes of social change
that follows.  This also deserves its own topic.

Salting the Earth so nothing will grow:  This one is also huge, and it
has some truly vicious implications for things we commonly interact
with, and the attached political & economic realities.  And it's an
additional issue that deserves its own topic.

So, with that, it's time to start a couple more threads.

-G.