[sudo-discuss] cuddling it

Yardena Cohen yardenack at gmail.com
Sat May 4 08:19:11 PDT 2013

> "killing it"

I don't work the kind of industry jobs where I'd ever meet people who
use phrases like this to mean the things you're talking about, and
while sometimes I complain about not making industry money, it's nice
to be reminded of the upside.

> Doesn't the civilized psyche secretly crave the things it sets itself apart from and
> gives up and projects on its image of the noble savage though?

I'm sorry, I respect you Anthony, but someone mentioning AAVE really
isn't the time to start meditating on the ideas of civilization and
savage. It really isn't. I am still perplexed in my attempt to
interpret that as anything other than racist, and the replies about
hip-hop and "gangsters" aren't really helping me.

Is it really necessary to remind some of you that the words "African
American" include people in your own hacker/maker communities, rather
than this bizarre dreamscape of philosophical Others? Really?

> a bunch of nerds (conventionally thought of as white) are engaging in some kind
> of outsider-critique of someone else's community (black).

I'm sorry George, I respect you but I can come up with nothing but
profanity in response to this sentence. I will try again in 24 hours.