[sudo-discuss] cuddling it

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Fri May 3 16:53:14 PDT 2013

Yo's-

None the less, useful to explore.

As I understand the history of this:

The word "savage" is the English adaptation of the French word "sauvage"
that originally meant "forest-dweller."  At the time of early European
settlement in North America, the practice in Europe was that only
members of the nobility had the privilege of hunting in the forests:
"commoners" (that would be us) were forbidden from doing so, often under
penalty of death.

The Europeans who settled in North America were highly surprised to see
that no such restriction existed among the Native peoples: any and all
tribe members hunted freely in the woods.

The phrase "noble savage" originally referred to this: the idea that
ordinary tribe members had what in Europe was a special privilege of the
nobility, the freedom to hunt in the woods.  The European settlers
envied the First Nations peoples for having a privilege that they
themselves did not have.

The dynamic is quite real to this day, of city-dwellers' envy of rural
peoples, and industrial-culture peoples' envy of hunter-gatherer
peoples.  It's a generalization of "the grass is always greener in the
other person's yard."  It works both ways: every axis of contrast
between someone's own circumstances and someone else's circumstances can
become grounds for comparisons that may risk turning invidious in some
way.  And once that process gets started, it opens the door to all
manner of psychodynamic smog.

So about "killing it":

Seems to me that if we're concerned about (whatever issue), and we run
across examples that may be entangled with
racial/ethnic/religious/gender/etc. issues, the best thing to do is to
stick to examples that come squarely from within our own subculture.

And what's the most frequent example of embedded violent language in
geek/nerd/maker/hacker culture?

How'bout "killer app"?  Let's start with that one.

-G.

(Back under the correct address now; thanks to all who helped fix that.)