[sudo-discuss] post-Bike Smut follow-up

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 18:00:33 PDT 2013

Complaining when it seems to contravene the status quo is scary! Especially
when it's around an issue of harassment or consent, which are big old
lightning rods for getting verbally abused.

My rule of thumb around these kinds of discussions (based on past
experiences) is usually that, if someone was upset enough to come forward,
others who feel less safe/empowered/whatever probable also were really
upset and didn't come forward.

The takeaway for me is twofold:

If I am bothered and feel safe speaking up, I should, because others may be
bothered but feel unable to address it.

If someone speaks up about something bothering them, it is important to
listen even if what is bothering them didn't bother me.