[sudo-discuss] post-Bike Smut follow-up

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 21:23:36 PDT 2013

Rabbit,

Well, the email got us off to a less than ideal start, but I think we're
recovering ok :)

Getting back to the film you brought up -- I'll recap it for anybody who
didn't see it, and then give my interpretation.

The film depicted a sex act which was consentual on the surface, but at the
end, one woman revealed that she had been conspiring to make the other one,
a stranger, an unknowning participant in getting her pregnant. The victim
of the deception hurried off in horror.

First, I acknowledge that the film could be difficult for somebody to
watch, especially somebody who's had experiences with nonconsentual sex. I
personally felt uncomfortable watching it.

But I do not think its intent was to condone the behavior it showed. It
seemed to me that by highlighting the lack of consent -- almost treating it
as a punch line -- it invited the audience to reflect on the act. By
showing the victim's emotional reaction, and the detachment of the
perpetrator, it implicitly acknowledged that there was something going on
that was at least unusual, or maybe worse. It didn't offer explicit
commentary on that, but my impression was that it was the sort of film that
was created with the specific intent of provoking reflection or discussion.

I'm curious: if the event had offered more opportunity for immediate, and
maybe facilitated, group discussion of the films, would you have felt OK
about that one being included?

Pete