[sudo-discuss] Downstairs Keypad is Currently Not Working

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Mon Jun 10 16:53:16 PDT 2013

On 06/10/2013 04:39 PM, Andrew wrote:
> My suggestion goes like this...
>
> INTERNET --> SudoRoom Intranet --> RasPi ---> Door [the ONLY thing the
> RasPi does is open the door via an http call to an API]
>
> USB -> Door Function Computer/Computers (RFID, BUZZER, KEYPAD) --> SudoRoom
> -> RasPi (Via HTTP) -> Door
>
> So all the RasPi does is open the door. All other functions can be off
> loaded to other computers RasPi's or not, they just need to have usb ports
> and be connected to a hub that gets them on the SudoRoom Intranet. Then all
> they have to do is hit the opendoor API on the DoorPi.
>
> Make sense?

If we are to have a camera monitoring the street as we discussed at the
last meeting, it seems to me sensible that it's connected to _a_ RasPi
at the entry door.  It doesn't have to be the same RasPi, but at least
it should be in the same location.  This is because we don't have any
other way to view the street from inside the space, since neither
Sudoroom proper nor "RootRoom" or the shared space, are facing that side
of the building.

I mentioned at the meeting this software: http://www.zoneminder.com/
which is available in the raspbian repos, and we can monitor the street
using this.  We should come up with a policy (e.g. we only retain videos
for X # of days and don't upload it to the internet) and configure
zoneminder appropriately.

Bill