[sudo-discuss] 24/7 access, community

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Thu Apr 4 13:55:03 PDT 2013

as it stands, we have a password for the front door and a url for the inner door.  even nonmembers could potentially find these and use them, right?  i think members having a unique rfid keycard to enter the space and be recorded in a log would at least give some indication of who is opening the space when, and would provide some sort of trail to investigate in case there is any sort of theft.  of course a digital trail is no protection against violent behavior - i have to defer to other peoples' concerns on the latter point as I would have no second thoughts on actively neutralizing any violent behavior against myself or other members if I'm there.  as far as limiting who can open the space, i concur with george and others that it is wise to use caution and to make clear that it's not an instant, pay for play type scenario - that it is part of a process of an individual merging into a community and demonstrating understanding of the ideals, norms, etc.  what exactly that process is and where we place various milestones can be debated at great length i'm sure, but we may just want to pick a few arbitrary threshold numbers (2-3 people vouch for your honesty, etc. and showing up to 2 meetings, being involved in the community for 3 months, getting at least a 70% score on a quiz RE our articles of association, whatever) and have a process where people can anonymously (?) object to or voice their concerns regarding admittance of a particular person to the community.  Openness is key, as is safe space, community vibe, harmony, etc.  It's a tough nut to crack but that's what we're here for, right?  to build a new community from scratch?

Apr 4, 2013 12:25:53 PM, marina.kukso at gmail.com wrote:
welcome sonja!

>+a million to jordan's email.
>- marina
>
>On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>Hi I'm totally new here and I don't know any of you. I live in west Oakland but I belong to Noisebridge! Absurd.

I agree with an earlier poster that it is valuable to make members/ people work for what they get. Not giving ppl 24 h access is as justifiable for that reason as it is for the safety reasons.

I suggest you adopt the age-old policy of having to get a current member to recommend you in order to be a full member (24-h access). Someone like me could become a partial member immediately, with limited access, and then I would have to meet some people and get one (or two, if that's the rule) to sign off on me being a full member. It sounds exclusive, but it's actually already how communities work.

Hey Everyone,

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org