[sudo-discuss] Instant 24/7 access? Do we allow for this? And how?

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 5 05:45:31 PDT 2013

I'll eagerly support any proposal that entails a reasonable trust
mechanism for giving new members a keycard, and there have been a lot of
good ideas on the list today.

Here's something personal about why I don't want an "easy" keycard/door
policy or the door pegged open at all hours.  I didn't have time or
headspace to get into this when I wrote to the list on Thursday morning
as I was about to run off to a client's site for the day.

Some friends of mine had a recording studio in West Berkeley and they
usually kept the door open.  One day a guy barged in with a gun and
grabbed one of my friends and told him _drive me where I tell you._  A
half hour later that felt like eternity the guy got out of my friend's
car and ran off.  My friend wasn't harmed physically but the guy could
have shot and killed him if he wanted to.

The last studio I worked in professionally was in Richmond, and had an
open access policy for anyone who said they wanted to do a project.  One
day someone called up, talked about doing an album, and then came over.
The guy and his pals had guns and they literally rolled up the owner of
the studio in a rug while they cleaned out the equipment racks and the
mic cabinet.  The owner shut the place down the next day.  That place
had major history in the Bay Area music scene, but that was the E-N-D of
that.

Badguys getting into creative spaces?  It happened twice to people I
knew, it can happen to us.  That's why I said I'll hard-block "sign up
now, get your cardkey now," but I'll support just about anything that
involves a reasonable trust mechanism.

---

Anything that involves having existing members vouch for new members is
especially good, because it entails creating bonds of trust.  It also
entails existing members staking their reputations on their
recommendations.

I'd prefer any proposal that's "more than one person but less than a
majority vote of the whole" vouching for a new member, because:  Two or
more people vouching for a new member is a good idea: they'll have a
discussion between themselves, so all the good points and not-so-good
points will come out.  But if a large-group vote is required that's not
as good because reduces the element of personal trust/relationship and
reputation involved.

And of course all members, even the one who just signed up five minutes
ago, should be able to come and go any time someone with a key is in the
space.  They can push the door intercom button to get let in.

The point that we've got a hackable door-contraption right now, with
means-of-access posted to a public website, so therefore we should have
an "easy" cardkey policy, doesn't move me, not even a millimeter.  The
contraption will eventually be upgraded to use card-keys and then
presumably there won't be a way to get in that's posted on a public
website.  I've refrained from meowing about the current situation with
the door, because I've seen it as a "work-in-progress" that's not going
to remain that way for too much longer.

-G.

=====