[Mesh] [FNF] Fwd: grant

Charles N Wyble charles at thefnf.org
Wed Dec 4 16:46:54 PST 2013

Perhaps I should not have sent it out to the FNF list , but to our leadership team directly. We've only just discovered the grant and won't necessarily apply for it. It could be useful for some things we are working on, or to allow Isaac to remain working full time for FNF. He has given up a lot in order to work full time on FNF.

Also to be clear:

1)FNF hasn't deployed any nodes (we've worked to keep our name as a supporting or facilitating partner in press coverage). Connecting for good and others have done the deployments. We've provided support, advice and subject matter expertise in terms of optimization etc.

2) We have put substantial effort into advancing the wireless wide area networking body of knowledge via our wiki and ongoing hacker dojo training and of course presentations at conferences and user groups. Also our lab etc. Does this qualify us under the grant? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

3) We have not as of yet shipped any software. Not even 0.0.1 release. To a certain extent FreedomStack could be considered vaporware. :)

On the other hand, we do have a pretty good track record with grant applications.

So in all likelihood, sudoroom would have a higher chance of success based on my preliminary reading of the grant details.

I would be happy to assist however I can with sudoroom getting the grant. You guys have a good (but still somewhat nascent) track record, and I believe will continue to do great things for the mesh/wwan community in the US and globally.

Thanks for reading.