[Mesh] Meeting Minutes 2/21

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:16:02 PST 2013

Meeting minutes are also archived here:
http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/21_February_2013

=Attendees=
Mark, Juul, Jenny, Bill, Miguel, Dres

=Debrief from Saturday's field trip=
*Replaced router at the Bikery in San Antonio (1) and Matt's house in
Fruitvale (2)
*Installed new router at the Bikery's second location (in the same building
as LOLspace) (3)
*Scoped out the rooftop situation at the LOL/SOL building

=Research=
*Bill did [[
http://lists.sudoroom.org/pipermail/mesh/2013-February/000017.html research
on OLSR / routing protocols]
*Juul did [
http://lists.sudoroom.org/pipermail/mesh/2013-February/000021.html research
on what's needed to do rooftop tests]

=Equipment Needs=
*Binoculars w/ built-in compass
*Normal compasses if the above can't be procured
*Tripods for mounting antennas
*Wifi USB dongles
*Wifi measuring device (from Ubiquiti)
*Weather-resistent enclosures
*Walkie talkies!

=Ideas=
*Wifi-based microwave interference detector
*Ham certification gives you some privileges on the wifi frequencies (up to
50 watts!?)
*Alameda island mesh network attempt:
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireless.alameda
*We should assess wifi rane in crappy weather conditions
*Schools, libraries, city buildings

=Needs Assessment=
*How much equipment can we procure from donations?
*DD-WRT and OpenWRT compliance with various kinds of routers

=Sudo Room Inventory=
*OpenMesh MR500
*1 Linksys WRT54GL v.1.1 (4 MB)
*2 Linksys WAP54G v.3.1 (2 MB)

=Action Items=
*Research on outdoor weatherproof equipment
**Jenny will talk to Commotion folks
*Work on OpenITP proposal.
*Work on proposal for OpenOakland / City of Oakland.

---------
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org