[Mesh] mesh routers

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Fri Feb 15 02:39:57 PST 2013

Pretty useful hardware suggestions I got from #olsr on freenode:

02:27 < soma> generally almost everything that bases on ar71xx is
probably the best hardware for openwrt (good cpu/ram and good ath9k wifi
driver)
02:27 < legind> I've heard that having 2 cpu cores is preferable in mesh
routing
02:28 < soma> for indoor there are a lot of options where some tp-links
are quite cheap. e.g. wr1043nd or wdr3600. there are also cheaper ones
like wr703 or wr741, but they only have 4MB flash. thats enough, but i
personally wouldn't want them because restricted space in flash is uncool
02:28 < soma> for outdoors ubiquiti stuff is my favorite
02:28 < soma> why 2 cores?
02:29 < soma> better 2 wifi interfaces
02:32 < legind> one core handles the mesh network and one for internal lan
02:33 < legind> thanks for the suggestions soma
02:34 < soma> that depens on your usecase then. maybe thats good if you
want to route traffic from e.g. lan to wan at 1gbps all the time, then
it could make sense. but for all normal needs 1 core is imo enough and i
also think platforms with 2 cores are just starting to come out