[Mesh] My mesh project.

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:02:59 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Alcides Gutierrez <alcides888 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice. I did find out that both olsr and batman-adv are ongoing efforts. I
> dropped by #batman on freenode and feel like batman-adv is a good option for
> me to start with. Good to see that NG also uses batman. I have been reading
> as many docs on batman to get up to speed.

There are several other protocols out there. The main one I'm seeing
in use other than OLSR and batman-adv is Babel. Babel is apparently
really easy to work with. I asked the Project Byzantium people why
they chose it, and they said there was only one reason: simplicity of
deployment.

Jenny and I have gathered some relevant facts about meshing protocols
here: http://thepyre.org/wiki/Mesh#Meshing_protocols_and_algorithms

> Hoping different firmwares wont be a major issue if batman is the common
> protocol. Im gonna test out DDwrt on my e2000 and OpenWrt on two wndr3800's.
> See how traffic flows.

Cool. Maybe you already know this, but DD-WRT is not really open
source / free software. There are add-in modules that they want you to
pay for, and it's apparently very difficult to compile from source. I
tried using it once, and ran into a showstopper when I realized
there's no way to disable console output on the primary serial port
(meaning you can't use it for anything else).

> Im meeting with Jenny tomorrow at sudo aboit 530. I would enjoy making it
> out every Thursday if there's a gathering. Basically, what I do everyday
> with my free time is explore what I can with mesh networking.
> We can meet up next week if you like. Or if people wanna meet tomorrow, Im
> cool with that too!

I'm also ok either way.

--
Marc Juul