[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] someone is stealing things at sudoroom / the omni

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu Mar 26 16:15:58 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM, <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:

>  unless la commune maintains primary access to their space by passing
> through sudo room I'd say the 2 positions are consistent

I'm not sure I believe closing sudo/ccl off is going to change anything. I
foresee that people will come in at some point during the day, open the
doors to sudo room for the public and they will remain open until the
building is closed up in the evening. If we were to require people to use
access cards every time they move between sudo and the rest of omni then
this would _really_ change the feel of openness that the Omni currently
has. It would mean that not being a member of any given space is a much
bigger issue, since you will then need to wait for someone to open the door
for you even if you're just going to the kitchen and back. I'm sure people
will propose something to the effect of "open doors between 10 am and 6 pm"
but that again renders the whole system ineffective since it is likely that
the thefts are happening in that time window. Then we can consider giving
out "guest passes" to people that only work for internal access between
sudo and kitchen/ballroom/basement within certain hours.

If we are closing parts of the Omni off to anyone (btw already the TIL
office is closed off so this is not completely novel) then there are few
remaining reasons I can think of to not allow La Commune to close itself.
One is for access to sudo room/CCL from the outside, which we can provide
through the back door anyway. The other is for other collectives to access
the upstairs area after hours (most importantly the kitchen). This would
involve some non-trivial amount of construction and probably permits,
though the area around the staircase to the upstairs closest to sudo is
infested with mold anyway so tearing it down to some degree might have to
happen anyway.

I do see this as a major shift in how we think about and use the Omni and
we should consider alternatives before we go this route. I think a closed
and encrypted video surveillance system that can only be accessed through
consent is a possible viable alternative that may be more effective than
locked doors, and definitely would be easier to implement in the short term.

--
marc/juul