[sudo-discuss] Oakland Power Projects launch (alternatives to police) Wed. Mar 11 6:30p

Julio Rios julio.rios at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:06:10 PDT 2015

Friends,

Critical Resistance is launching their Oakland Power Projects, working on
finding alternatives to calling the police in Oakland.  I think some of you
may be interested in being involved.  I am not directly involved in this
working group, but I will be attending.  Pass it on to interested parties
too.  It's this Wednesday, and I know there are other things going on, but
hopefully some of you can attend.  I can do a quick report back at next
week's CDC meeting.

Much love,
Julio

------------

*The Oakland Power Projects Launch*

*Wednesday March 11, 6:30-8:30pm*

*at Qulture Collective 1714 Franklin St, Oakland (two blocks from downtown
19th St BART)*

Critical Resistance Oakland is launching the Oakland Power Projects, an
alternatives to policing initiative that engages Oakland residents to build
community power and wellbeing without relying on the cops.  CR Oakland has
been hard at work fighting against the violence of policing and for
community self-determination for more than 10 years.  Join us in this next
phase as we erode the power of policing by investing in the real resources
and practices we need.  Learn more and get involved on Wednesday March 11.

*ABOUT THE FIRST PHASE of THE OAKLAND POWER PROJECTS:*

We have talked with residents across the city about their experiences with
police and about their dreams for making Oakland healthy and strong.
Hearing that access to health resources not linked to policing was a
recurring theme in these conversations, Critical Resistance then reached
out to community health workers.  CR members talked with emergency room
doctors, community medics, community clinicians, and herbal healers and
asked them what they thought Oakland residents needed to know about staying
healthy and what kinds of resources they would like to see developed in the
city.

>From that information, we’re building our first power project to work with
people to build skills and confidence in addressing some health concerns
while decreasing people’s contact with the cops.

Community convenings are one way to test out what we’re learning, get
feedback on our direction, and hear new ideas about how to make our work
stronger.  We use these gatherings to help think about what works (or
doesn’t) in different neighborhoods, with different age groups, and across
race, gender, ethnic, and class differences, and to make adjustments to
help make the Oakland Power Projects relevant.

We need you!  Help the Oakland Power Projects take shape.  Join us on
Wednesday,
March 11 to get plugged in.

SUPPORT CR TODAY!

Every donation - big and small - is vital to sustaining CR's fight to end
the prison industrial complex. Go to:
https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/criticalresistance, or mail checks to
Critical Resistance, 1904 Franklin Street, Suite 504, Oakland, CA 94612.
Thank you for your contributions to this struggle.