[sudo-discuss] lighting options

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:39:13 PST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-White-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/
> B005EHHLD8/
>
> 300 white LEDs on 5meters of tape for $8.40, free shipping over $35
>
> seller has warm, cold, waterproof, etc..

Nice deal. Most of the LED strips are more decorative than designed for
high powered room illumination though. For example, the one you posted
there is only 4.8 W/m, while the ones I found were around 20 W/m. You could
of course just zigzag them back and forth a couple time to get the same
light output.

The amazon listing claims they're 900 Lumen for 4.8W/m, but that does not
compute. While some manufacturers are claiming up to 300-400 Lumen/Watt,
that's only achievable in very short pulses. In light fixtures under real
world conditions, you expect around 40-80 Lm/W, so I suspect that 900 Lumen
is for the entire 5m strip, not just for a 1m section.

Since the 8ft fluorescents are 5000 Lumen each, that means we'd need about
five of these 5m LED strips per fixture to achieve the same light output,
looping them back and forth about 10 times across the 8ft fixture.

Patrik