[sudo-discuss] Invoice #132 from Omni Oakland Commons

Alice Rosenthal beehappysolutions at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:58:39 PST 2015

> On Jan 28, 2015, at 10:46 AM, Sarah Pritchard <sarahloupritchard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there!
> See below for a link to Sudo Room's invoice for January's shared expenses at the Omni. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
>
> For your reference, here is the breakdown of the Omni's total expenses (utilities, taxes, & insurance) from this month:
> PG&E: $691.74
> EBMUD: $390.09
> Waste Management: $60.21
> Building Insurance: $660.00
Why are renters paying Building Insurance?
$660 a month is a lot for insurance.
> General Liability Insurance: $188.16
This seems very reasonable for Liability insurance. Maybe a little too low

> Director's & Officer's Insurance: $302.00
$302 a month seems like a lot - that is $3600 a year - that seems like a lot.
> Taxes: $595.62
What kind of taxes are these? Sales tax? Business Tax?

Sorry to ask such questions but maybe you can save some money here.

I have been told that Insurance companies don’t want to write policies for less than $800 - so you may just be paying a bunch of money for not a very good reason like that is the least they will charge to write a policy.

One idea might be to look into collectiivizing insurance.  Perhaps there are individuals with insurance needs that can come together to get more coverage and lower the cost.