[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Donation box at CCL raided

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 10:20:11 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Jehan Tremback
<jehan.tremback at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been to a few of the hackerspaces here in Berlin, and they all have had
> much stricter entrance policies and visitor hours than Noisebridge or
> Sudoroom/CCL. Keep in mind that these spaces have been thriving for far
> longer than any of the Bay Area hackerspaces. Having access be somewhat
> restricted is not necessarily a bad thing.

Thriving by what standards? Sudoroom's values go against many of the
dominant trends in hackerspaces, so in this and many other cases we
might find ourselves making our own way. :)

That said, I support having a lockable door. It's not about being
strict, it's about having options. Members who are in the space should
have the choice to decide whether they want to do the heavy lifting of
holding a radically open space, or whether they just don't have the
spoons for it. I think this is a great balance between all of our
community's needs and values. I think most of the day we'll find
ourselves in the former situation. And it's not that radical a change
for Sudoroom, it's pretty much exactly how things were during our
formative years at 2141 - the door could be (and often was) locked at
any time.