[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Elliot Hughes

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Thu Jan 15 16:53:12 PST 2015

 from sudo room articles:

SECTION 2.3 BENEFITS

The following are benefits available to all members:

	* Usable assets and resources [10] available within reasonable
constraints of time and under the condition of sharing.

 	* SUDO ROOM strives to make assets and resources available to as many
non-member participants and beneficiaries as possible.
 	* Note: no personal property should be stored in SUDO ROOM unless a
system for personal storage can be provided by SUDO ROOM.
 	* Note: the use of SUDO ROOM environments for habitation and/or
domestic use is strongly discouraged.

	* Approved discounts and services negotiated through the collective
purchasing power of SUDO ROOM.

 	* Items are up to the discretion of SUDO ROOM to determine through its
budgeting and decision-making processes.

	* A _safe space,_ which is defined as:

 	* "A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without
fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on
account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental
ability; a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and
dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others." -- Advocates
for Youth via Wikipedia [11].
 	* A place free of physical violence or threats thereof.

On 2015-01-15 16:21, Stephen Novotny wrote:

> yes. I think this is it https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Safer_Space_Policy#4..E2.80.8E_.E2.80.8FConsequences.E2.80.AD_.E2.80.ACof.E2.80.AD_.E2.80.ACUnacceptable.E2.80.AD_.E2.80.ACBehavior [9]
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Karissa McKelvey <krmckelv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There needs to be clear guidelines surrounding who can access the
>> commons otherwise the commons deteriorates.
>>
>> If someone breaks a rule, they should be subject to consequences.
>>
>> Is there no policy guideline surrounding physical violence in this commons??
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Matthew Senate <mattsenate at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I am regularly moved by the sudo room community's compassion.
>>>
>>> However, allow me to re-iterate a selection of my original message, facts
>>> and my personal positions that have not changed:

>>> We must differentiate patterns of behavior from isolated incidents. This is
>>> a pattern, and I think it reasonable to anticipate the risk of repeat
>>> behavior.

>>> Nor do I believe anyone should.

>>> Consequences are hard to deal with, but we, as individuals, must hold
>>> ourselves and each other responsible for our actions.
>>>
>>> It has become more and more obvious to me that when individuals take
>>> advantage of their access to the commons, it is most critical for our
>>> community to act as stewards, to show resolve that such behavior will not be
>>> tolerated, and that paths to reconciliation begin with recognizing that, if
>>> necessary, the privilege to access the commons can, and will, be taken away.
>>>
>>> // Matt

Links:
------
[1] http://500px.com/eske