[sudo-discuss] [BAPS-Organizing] Re: [omni-discuss] Replacing the term "bottom-liner" with..?

Michael Nicoloff michael.nicoloff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:17:46 PST 2015

I'm not sure if I'm seeing subsequent emails following Niki's given access
or lack thereof to the other lists, so forgive any redundancy. I concur
with Niki that the question of naming is not nothing, in part because of
the ways that names, obviously, carry unconscious connotations that can
shape our approaches to the things they name. I don't really have a problem
with the term bottom-liner, as to me it hasn't implied an anti-collective
approach, but as I said, we're not just talking about the conscious things
a name brings up.

Concerns about the name, though, seem to be one manifestation of larger
concerns about the nature of event/program support at the Omni. I know on
the BAPS side of things there's been on-and-off problems with finding
enough people to bottom-line classes, and that often the duties of
bottom-lining have unevenly fallen on a few key people, so that even if the
name bottom-liner hasn't struck me as a problem, the organizing practice
has at times felt built on shaky ground. What in theory is a non-coercive,
equal, from-each-to-each kind of horizontalism becomes not so much that in
practice, with responsibility (and power) concentrating/burdening a small
number of folks. (Obviously, I know I don't have to explain this dynamic to
any of you.)

So I feel like lurking under concerns about the name are questions of
organization, of how to ensure a horizontalism not just in name but also in
reality, and so it seems like any discussion of renaming the bottom-liner
task is also going to have to take a real look at our practices as
collectives. Maybe I'm getting a little far afield here, but it seems like
pulling on the thread of what to call what we're calling a bottom-liner
pulls a lot of other issues with it.

MN