[sudo-discuss] Call for volunteers to help man Omni's front desk!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 21:17:32 PST 2015

Hi friends!

As part of the Welcoming Committee, we're looking for folks to help man
the front desk of the Omni. Day shifts (10-2, 2-6pm) will be done in
tandem with La Commune. Our priority right now is filling evening
shifts, 6-10pm, as these are the busiest times for the Omni and most in
need of guides to point people where they need to go. It's a great way
to simultaneously meet new people and have a sweet spot to work on
things that are interruptible.

You can sign yourself up for shifts here:
https://ethercalc.com/omni-front-desk

What are the responsibilities of the front desk?
* Simply a face to say hello when people walk in!
* Check omnicommons.org/calendar and know what's going on and where
things are.
* For evening shifts, checking that folks are coming for specific
purposes and turning people away if necessary.
* Giving tours, if possible, and answering questions about the space.
* Security - to some extent, _unwelcoming_, in the rare case it's
necessary, we need to have at least one person near the door and ideally
two, so one person can detain while the other activates an 'all hands on
deck' signal we'll be working out in the near future. For now, the best
option for this is to walk to sudo/ccl and ask whoever's around to come
out and help with a nonviolent walkout of the problematic individual. On
that note, our bans list is here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Bans

The Welcoming Committee is also creating documentation, handouts to give
to people when they ask for information. We're collecting all the
necessary info, mostly scraped from the wiki, to be eventually split
into bits and graphically jazzed and printed by our
artistically-inclined comrades, here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6PFP4A1_7EypsyhqJ5qM4-HglKCgrk7h024fKJzWqo/edit

Got suggestions and ideas on how we can do this better? The Welcoming
Committee meets every Thursday at 6pm in La Commune :)

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org