[sudo-discuss] Laser gantry, oh gantry, where art thou drivers?

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu Jan 8 23:10:30 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The full spectrum laser cutter I brought to the hacker pace has been
> out of service for some time, after Brendon's attempt to fix its loose
> keyswitch ended in board-popping disaster. (Shit happens,  **but
> ermehgawd always remove power before fixing circuits guize**)

:( crap

> Anyway, I bought some new stepper motor drivers to replace the burnt
> ones on the controller, but unfortunately there seems to be more
> wrecked with it than just that simple fix. I'd love to get this thing
> working for the community, though, that's a bit hard with no brains
> for the machine.
>
> A new board from full spectrum is $1500, but I contacted them with a
> "we're a poor hackerspace" card and they'd be willing to replace it
> for $250 if I mail in the old controller, which I feel is within
> raise-able reach. This would give us full access to their software
> suite / print driver, and a reliable machine.

Awesome! Let's do it! Let's set up a physical donation box and maybe an
online one too and send it out to our community! I can set up one online of
someone else sets up the physical one. Maybe we should raise $350 instead
so we can pay for duct and mounting brackets and actually get the fumes
hooked up.

Thanks for doing this Adam. This is awesome.

--
marc/juul