[sudo-discuss] SHOPSMITH (7 in 1) tool works as Table Saw, Lathe, Disc Sander, Drill Press, Horizontal Boring, Router, Shaper.

Alice Rosenthal beehappysolutions at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:34:44 PST 2015

Hey Sudo-ers,

I was dropping off the radial arm saw a couple days ago and Rayc helped me
unload. I came the following day with some ply that can be used to replace
the particle board cutting surface.  Thicker wood would be ideal.  I'll
keep my eyes open for the optimal material.

As I was leaving Rayc said that having a table saw would be really good.
Well I had 4 table saws about a year ago and I gave a really heavy one to a
friend in LA, I gave a very large but portable one to a friend in Livermore
(and he is willing to give it back - but someone would have to go fetch
it.) Then there are the two I have here at my house in Berkeley.  I am
going to keep the small portable one at my house for my family's use. The
one I was thinking would be good for Sudo room is a really amazing machine
called a "shopsmith" 7 in one tool.  We bought this second hand many years
ago and because we don't have space for it we haven't used it much.  It is
not some thing we want to give a way.  My husband and I are re-visioning
our house and planning on adding a basement or something where we can do
projects and make stuff.  Up to now, we do our projects outside in the
yard.  THe radial arm saw was kept outside under a tarp for 7 years - which
is why the particle board cutting surface deteriorated.  Electronics
probably need some tlc but the unit glides like new - just some of the
other adjustments need to be lubed.

Anyway, getting back to the SHOPSMITH.  This would be an amazing and useful
tool for Sudo to have on premise.  But there are a few issues.  It is a
space saving tool but it takes up space. It needs space around it when it
is operating - other wise it is on wheels and can be pushed over along a
wall or in a corner.

Second issue is that we don't want to give it away - this would be use for
storage trade.  In a couple years we will most likely want to move it back
to our house in Berkeley.

Lastly - things like bits, blades, allen wrenches would not be part of the
deal.  It's possible we might have one of each we could send it over with
but people wanting to use the shopsmith would have to pool their money to
buy these expendible items.

I'd be willing to contact the corporation to see if someone could come and
do a demo / training at the omni - this would be very good promotion for
their product exposure.

And Lastly lastly,  Anyone using the tools I brought to the Omni/Sudo
agrees that they do it at their own risk with absolutely no liability to me
or my family.  If you don't know how to use a too safely or properly - then
don't use it.  THe last thing you want is a bunch of your blood pooling on
sudo room floor or splattered on the walls.

Have an emergency plan - have emergency medical kit including tourniquet.
Tools with blades, bits, spinning wheels and gears can cause serious
injuries and death.  I have been using power tools for over 40 years.  I
still have 10 fingers but if you ever wondered about that scar on my face
it is from using the wrong tool for a job.  I suffered that injury after 30
year of experience.  That scar is a reminder to all of us who think we know
what we are doing. Using the right tool for the job is a important as using
a tool correctly.

So the question remains - how to people feel about housing a Shopsmith 7 in
one tool.

Here is a link to the shopsmith homepage find out more about this tool.
http://www.shopsmith.com/

I look forward to your consolidated responses - particularly the ones
AGAINST housing the shopsmith at Sudo for 2 years.

Alice

Ps - I forgot I have a mini-table saw that is for making doll houses too!

--
Alice Rosenthal
Bee Happy Solutions