[sudo-discuss] lighting options

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Feb 15 01:17:01 PST 2015

so i guess sudoroom (and CCL too probably) need some new lights, since the
flourescents are failing.

Home Despot sells 11-watt "warm white" bulbs for $9 each, which would be a
good idea if we had regular lamp sockets to screw bulbs into...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-5000K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-with-4Flow-Filament-Design-BA19-08050OMF-12DE26-3U100/205597079?N=5yc1vZbm79

but china can always do better.  I looked on Ali Express and sorted by
customer satisfaction, looking for LED lighting in "downlights" which
suggests lamps shining downward?

these look good but the seller rating is only 97.4%:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Aluminum-9W-15W-21W-27W-45W-LED-Downlight-Ceiling-lights-lamp-AC85-265V-With/2027740342.html

they seem to be "16 to 21" watts for $6.95 including shipping.  They offer
"warm" and "cold" flavors so we could just get a mix of the two kinds, for
something in the middle when they're all on.

here is the search i was doing:

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/200002289/led-downlights.html?site=glo&isrefine=y&shipCountry=US&SortType=total_weight_score_desc

this one is also a good price, and the seller rating is higher (98.1%)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/21W-Antifogging-Epistar-led-downlight-AC85-265V-Contains-the-drive-power-free-shipping/2047334906.html

ultimately i have higher confidence in the quality of something we buy
from Cree at Home Despot, but I think we should give China a chance and
buy a few of the "16 to 21 watt" ones and see how they compare.

For reference, Cree (a reputable company) and other LED bulbs sold at Home
Despot are called "60 watt replacement" bulbs while actually using 9 to 11
watts.  The light fixtures presently in Sudoroom and CCL each have two
75-watt flourescent bulbs, for a total of 900 watts of light in the bocce
ball room when they're all working.

That suggests that 150 watts of LED lighting would be equivalent, which
would cost about $60 from the first aliexpress link i provided.

These lights just have wires coming out, so we would perhaps attach them
onto the metal structures that are presently holding flourescent lights
for simplicity, until we come up with something better.

-jake