[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Proposed Safe Space Ban: Perry

Steve Bloom stevebloom55 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:21:32 PST 2015

TBC, yar, your statement necessarily had implications for what Al said.  It
could have been phrased to not do that even while still expressing support
for Ryan.  Korl can think it was unconstructive without taking it
personally.  I don't think the subsequent statement that Korl has something
to learn here was helpful.

That said, let's not lose track of the fact that Perry has serious
loss-of-boundary issues when he drinks (which seems to be frequently).  My
own experience (two experiences actually) is that he doesn't single people
out for that (I got it too), but it's absolutely the case that the same
behavior that was non-threatening for me will be very threatening for
others.  (Something I need to bear in mind going foward; probably I should
have asked if there have been other such incidents.)

I'm a little murky on the process here.  I mean, this open discussion isn't
going to be used for some sort of vote, right?

Assuming this from David K. is correct --

"Yes, any member (but not guest) is empowered to temporarily ban - pending
conflict mediation - anyone else so following a safe space violation which
is what this is."

-- then it seems that all Ryan has to do is say that Perry is banned,
following which a conflict mediation process is initiated.  If Ryan didn't
feel that his and (as related) Ribre's particular experience was sufficient
and so was asking others, then what Jenny and I added (and David K.,
although he didn't provide details of the incidents) seems like more than
enough.

Returning to Ryan's original comment --

"Regardless, I ask that Perry be banned from the Omni, pending mediation,
as his actions clearly violate our safe space policy and he refused to take
action to alter his behaviour."

-- it seems to me that maybe it not being phrased as a statement may have
engendered confusion.  So maybe just do that, Ryan?  TBC, apparently you
don't need to ask anyone, and as noted if what you wanted was corroboration
you have plenty.

As for the policy discussion, if Al or anyone wants to pursue that I
suggest they do it in a different thread.

Thanks to all.

-- Steve