[sudo-discuss] Calendar Display Project

Phebe Polk pgreenwo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:55:01 PST 2015

Hello,

A project that I had wanted to build for myself, is a wall mounted google
calendar display.  At first I thought that I would need to work it out from
scratch but then I googled and found that someone had already done it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Wall-Mounted-Google-Calendar/?ALLSTEPS

I would love to make one for the Sudo Room / Omni to display the Omni
Calendar.  It is important for people who visit during the day to be able
to know what events are going on.  I think it would increases the community
involvement with the space.  We could even set it up to alternate display
of the calendar with posters from the different groups or a short comic
explaining the safer spaces policy.

The items listed for making this are:
Equipment you will need

   - Home network (wireless if you can't run a cable to the Pi)
   - Raspberry Pi (I've used the model B)
   - SD card 2GB or larger
   - AC Adaptor (I used a USB wall charger for mobile phones check here
   http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Power_adapters)
   - Micro USB cable
   - USB keyboard and mouse
   - USB wireless adaptor (MAKE SURE IT IS COMPATIBLE OUT OF THE BOX
   http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters)
   - HDMI cable
   - Wall mountable HDMI capable monitor or any monitor with some kind of
   HDMI converter
   - Wall bracket for your monitor

I know that some of the things donated to the space are available for
projects like this one.  Are the monitors available for use?  Is there any
extra / leftover Raspberry Pi's?  I am willing to buy/ dumpster dive for
items that are needed for this project and not already in the space.  I
just want to start by asking what is already here that I can use.  If you
want to build this with me, then send me an email.

Phebe

PS - The Aperture Science sign someone was building looks really cool.  I
would love to talk to you about how you made it.