[sudo-discuss] David T showed up at the Omni today

Ryan yandoryn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:30:30 PST 2015

Taller Ryan handled it well and awesomely. Major props to remote-Jenny, too.

David T approached the smoking area today where Niko, Rachel, and myself
were smoking. He asked Rachel for a cigarette and if the Omni could help
him. Rachel gave him a cigarette and started asking him what kind of help
he needed. He started expressing how he wasn't doing well, kind of like
interfacing with reality stuff. I was pretty sure I knew who he was, but
made sure, asking him his name. I asked him if he knew he was banned from
the Omni. At this point, he said yes. I let him know that included the
smoking area, so he was going to have to smoke the cigarette elsewhere.

He seemed non-receptive to this and didn't move. I let him know that if he
didn't leave, I was going to have to get some more folks. He said that
someone had told him that he could come back now. I told him that's not
true, and that he is still banned. He also expressed that he felt like he
was having to "jump through a ton of hoops" and was questioning why he even
came here.

I went and got more folks. I started by coming out with one. He had still
not left. I expressed to him again that he needed to leave and got no
response. More folks started trickling out slowly, and Taller Ryan got
pretty proactive and awesome, trying to help him through the process.

In many ways, he seemed to be stalling, although I could not hear all of
the conversation. Taller Ryan got in contact with Jenny, who had sent him
an email on January 8th, which he has not responded to, about starting
mediated conflict resolution.

Niko and Laura pointed out to me that he never made it onto the bans page,
which I have since rectified.

He was not physically threatening, but he certainly would not have left
without backup.

Here is a link to the discuss thread of the incident which led to his ban:
https://omnicommons.org/lists/private/discuss/2015-January/001498.html

I have attached a picture of him.

I do not foresee this being a continual issue. Just documentin'.