[sudo-discuss] Sudoroom electrical plans

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Sun Sep 7 08:27:23 PDT 2014

i do think since CCL will be pulling from a different panel that we
should have enough amps from 4x20 amp breaker positions. the balcony is
set to get its own 2 runs (with one 20A plug on each run) for the server
farm and any amplifiers set to run there, the 3d printing area and
museum have a breaker run, and the tool area will have its own breaker.
the only complication in my mind is the back set of outlets sharing a
breaker with the tools and someone bearing down with a chop saw just
before someone hits save on the new greatest cryptographic algorithm on
their laptop. that's what pushes it to 5 positions in my mind if it were
easy to get that 5th run energized.

we do intend to run a separate 230V service later for the heavy stuff
over 2 outlets, so maybe we could identify a spot for a breaker to be
installed under stage 2.

cheers

On 2014-09-07 07:04, Dave Pedroli wrote:

> Fine by me. Just my opinion that loads add up. Indeed we use more things with small loads than ever before... I have worked on houses that get by on two fifteen amp circuits in San Francisco and I have had problems with two hundred amps 220 volts not being enough...
>
> Dave
>
> Sent from the surveillance van
> On Sep 6, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote: I disagree. We have very few things that use more than 100 watts, and the number is diminishing constantly. a laptop takes no more than 100 watts max, typically around 50. 60 watt lightbulbs are occasionally used, but more often we use 24 watt CFLs, when we're not simply using the overhead lights. Desktop computers with their monitors take a total of less than 200. 3d printers take between 50 and 100 watts depending on how much heating is needed. A heat gun can take 1500 watts, but a 20-amp breaker can supply over 2400 watts. Without a more detailed list of what people expect to plug in, we can't be sure one way or another whether there will be conflicts requiring something to be plugged into a different outlet. But my experience tells me that what we have sketched out so far is more than enough. and we know for a fact that increasing service will correspondingly increase costs and time to completion, and complexity if we run
out of circuit breakers overestimating our needs. Worst case is that you have to plug the second autoclave into a different outlet than the first one. -jake On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Dave Pedroli wrote: Hi all, Going over your emails and PDFs it looks good however putting more than a couple outlets on a breaker will end up being problematic. Yes refrigerators are smaller loads but there will be a time when someone opens all one after the other and they try to start all at once blowing a breaker and defrosting... Autoclaves typically need their own circuit etc ... 13 outlets with 4 breakers is pushing it. If the majority of use was to be laptops and soldering irons ok but the minute a heat gun is plugged in poof, you blow a breaker. With electricity and parachutes it's best to start out right rather than build up to it. I'll go over the PDFs on my iPad later and let you know what I think. The layout looks fine, the number of outlets looks good it's just the the number of circuits (breakets)
that needs improving. Dave Somewhere on the bonneville salt flats Sent from the surveillance van On Sep 5, 2014, at 3:58 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote: I believe the electrical panel in the balcony only supplies one or two things (not including the robot, which is a temporary connection) I think we should look into simply moving that breaker box down ten feet so it faces the server room, and be done with it. On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, Whitney Lawrence wrote: Howdy,Let me begin with thanking you for looking at the proposal. Your interpretation of the plans is correct.{ Main -> above stage panel -> balcony panel } is how the proposed plan is drawn. There is enough room in the balcony panel (which is the one located in the small room that shares a wall with the server loft of sudoroom) to accomplish phase 1 of the proposal. The proposal is based on instruction received to minimize cost. Ideally, there would be a main panel breaker that supplies a sub panel for all of sudo's needs (phase 1 and
phase 2). I can't accurately guess at a cost number for this type of installation. Figure a 100amp sub with hundreds of feet of 2awg plus breaker box plus breakers plus conduit plus hardware. All depending on if the main service can even handle the additional power demands (hiring an electrician to run the calcs). Ballpark $3-5k maybe- but its really a shot in the dark? My experience with this type of thing is there is always a better way to do it, if you go the money. A middle road is to plan on having the future sudo-sub panel placed near the balcony panel. Build in an extra 5ft or so of wire for the future transition into the new sudo-sub panel. All that would be needed is to remove the breakers from the old box re-run wire from J-box 1 to the new sudo-sub, as well as re-routing the 240V lines from the above stage panel to the sudo-sub (and of course preform all the main -> suod-sub work). as far as existing vs proposed. only the sub panels mentioned above exist currently- I'll
make a note to call out the existing stuff in the drawings. Thanks, Whit On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Cere Mona Davis <ceremona at gmail.com> wrote: Hi everyone. It's the first time I have looked at these plans and I have some questions and thoughts. Dave said he won't be able to respond to this email until a couple of days as he is out in the boonies somewhere. So I am writing in to expedite some issues that I think he will likely bring up in the days ahead. Whit, thanks for drawing up these plans! For someone who is not intimately familiar with our electrical layout the plans might need a more clear description of existing electrical vs. proposed new electrical, however. In multiple conversations with Dave (and one on-site visit) he has mentioned repeatedly that we will want to shoot for putting in another sub panel for the sudoroom off of the main panel as the end-game; rather than daisy-chaining off of an existing panel (the balcony) as what seems to be proposed here. If we
can't immediately put in a sub panel into the room, due to cost, we should at-least be planning for conduit and wiring paths, etc that allows for a sudoroom sub-panel in the future. Thoughts? -Cere On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM, <hol at gaskill.com> wrote: Thanks Yar! Whit can you liaise w/ Dave RE how much of the work is going to be done under the first permit? Cheers, Hol On 2014-09-04 23:16, yar wrote: Hi all, Dave Pedroli is a certified electrician who's offered to review our plans to give them an okay. I'm copying him and the people who've been most involved with electrical work. Dave, the latest plans are attached, and also available online[1 [1]]. Could you please look them over and write us a few formal-sounding sentences that boil down to "hello I am a real electrician and I say these plans are solid"? This will help us make the landlord happy so he will let us do them. Thank you!! [1] https://lists.sudoroom.org/pipermail/sudo-discuss/2014-August/007369.html [1] -- Best
Regards, Cere Davis ceremona at gmail.com ------------------- GPG Key: http://taffy.findpage.com/~cere/pubkey.asc [2] GPG fingerprint (ID# 73FCA9E6) : F5C7 627B ECBE C735 117B 2278 9A95 4C88 73FC A9E6

Links:
------
[2] http://taffy.findpage.com/~cere/pubkey.asc