[sudo-discuss] Space Hackathon next weekend, Nov 7-9! Participants???

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Fri Oct 31 12:09:49 PDT 2014

Hi Folks,

Things are falling into place for the hackathon, which will be hosted at
UCB and at the Omni (sudo room / CCL area) this weekend. If you're
interested in DIY spacecraft, zero-G biology experiments, small solar
power systems, microelectronics, UAVs or other awesome stuff, come on
out and put your brain and hands behind our hardware development sprint!

We have most of it figured out, a bunch of participants signed up, and a
few people committed to helping out, but we could still use more
participants from sudo room to help bring in some ideas and connect
people to the space. I will be holding it down from midnight to 4AM
friday and saturday night, maybe later, but would like someone or ones
to take over in the morning so I can catch a few ZZZs.

If you're interested and want to find out more, check out the site
below, and remember to SIGN UP (it's free for all participants) if you
plan on attending so we can get a head count! The sudo/ccl component is
not on the site yet as the schedule needs to be updated, but it will be
soon. there are some good links on the site for related projects.

http://magnitude.io/space-hackathon/

Tentative Schedule is as follows:

TUE 11/4:

7PM planning meeting and preliminary look at the hardware, which will be
a bunch of donated intel edison and gallileo development boards.
participants who are active through the weekend can keep the hardware,
so i'm hoping that'll be everyone. much of the fleshing out of details
will happen this night and we'll get an idea of how many people and
projects will be going on. attendance is encouraged if you have any
visions for the hackathon that you'd like to see reflected event-wide
over the weekend. Not expecting the actual meeting part to run for more
than 1-1.5 hour.

THU 11/6:

set-up and staging of equipment, testing A/V link, projectors, etc. we
can start fleshing out ideas a bit more. i'll plan to be there until
pretty late to start switching over to nocturnal mode.

FRI 11/7:

The kickoff event starts at 9PM on UCB campus, then moves to sudo/CCL at
midnight for an all night hack session. We are trying to arrange a video
link with a university in Japan that is also working on small
satellites. In the morning, there will be an event at UCB that people
can attend or continue/resume your work at the Omni throughout the day.

SAT 11/8:

AM event at UCB + continued perpetual hacking at sudo room. Another
all-nighter in the bocce ball court, followed by an AM wrap-up on UCB
campus. I'll try to stay up through the morning event.

SUN 11/9:

Wrap-up and presentations of final hacks on UCB campus! Prizes!!!

I'll send more details as soon as I have them. If you're interested in
helping out, please sign up on the site and give me a heads up so we can
coordinate!

Cheers,

Hol