[sudo-discuss] light-up disco dancefloor

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Tue Oct 28 11:14:49 PDT 2014

honestly the wiring for enough relays to look cool would be a pain, plus
energy consumption of incandescent bulbs would be a drain

if the plan is to rent out the dance room, the cooler it looks the
better we can monetize the space. so far $1,000 is set to be spent on
soundproofing for the ballroom for example of expenditures that will
allow us to raise more operating funds in the long run. once we have a
little bit more working capital i think it makes perfect sense to
upgrade the dancefloor with modern lighting. i am not trying to
discourage you from doing anything different in the meantime of course.

here's $1.50-$3.00 /m for the older type chip
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LED-dream-color-strip-WS2812B-Addressable_60036309861.html?s=p

On 2014-10-28 03:50, Patrik D'haeseleer wrote:

> Hm - this one is $31 for 16ft, which comes out to around $6/meter:
>
> http://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p-3195-led-light-strip-16-ft-300-leds-15-watt-multi-function-multi-color.aspx?kpid=3195-4424--&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_byiBRCu9qm5lc28ufgBEiQAWq-ta3Nq5yHVoARU2RqbdfT5Y0ZgB4Ob6kv2K3uhdDpSu6UaAkOe8P8HAQ [1]
>
> Not sure if it's fully programmable - might be hackable though.
>
> Patrik
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hm - adafruit sells addressible 30 LED/meter strips for only $16.95:
>
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/1376 [2]
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/1460 [3]
>
> Which probably means you can buy cheap Chinese versions for quite a bit less than that...
>
> Patrik
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
> there are already, i believe, lightbulbs and gels down there, and the wires are all run.. i think all we need are a couple of relay boards (which i have) and a controller to sequence the lights. And if the lightbulbs burn out i have a huge box of replacements (if they're normal lightbulbs)
>
> i think it would be really expensive to replace all that light with LEDs and i would not ask for sudo or omni to put community money toward that if we can just play with the free stuff that's already in there.
>
> also, last i bought addressible LED tape it was more like $60 per meter, for the sparse stuff. If you think it's cheaper let's have links.. still, it's hard to beat free.
>
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, hol at gaskill.com wrote:
>
> i think the thing to do is pitch a redo with addressable LEDs to the building wg. would be pretty
> slick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgP15zYd7R4&list=UUF1zA2_6Q5VuXLAkZC-wa7A&index=4 [4]
>
> i think they're ~$10/m on alibaba and can run off a beagleboard. rabbit is the wizard.
>
> On 2014-10-27 15:45, Jake wrote:
>
> I just want to remind everyone that the disco dancefloor can light up, but the controller doesn't exist anymore. John (the landlord) says that all the li
> ghts in there work, which means all we need is a controller.
>
> I have plenty of relay boards we can hook up to that stuff, so anyone who is interested in getting the lightup dancefloor working again should let me know
> , and we can work on it together. Or at least i can supply you with the parts and materials and help you if you get stuck.

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p-3195-led-light-strip-16-ft-300-leds-15-watt-multi-function-multi-color.aspx?kpid=3195-4424--&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_byiBRCu9qm5lc28ufgBEiQAWq-ta3Nq5yHVoARU2RqbdfT5Y0ZgB4Ob6kv2K3uhdDpSu6UaAkOe8P8HAQ
[2] http://www.adafruit.com/products/1376
[3] http://www.adafruit.com/products/1460
[4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgP15zYd7R4&list=UUF1zA2_6Q5VuXLAkZC-wa7A&index=4