[sudo-discuss] Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?

Hep Svadja hepkitten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:57:52 PDT 2014

Yes, i understand that people want to don the costuming of DDLM. That is
exactly part of the problem. Groups of privileged parties co-opting what is
a sacred holiday not of their own culture. In that google image search you
have a vast variety of white women dressing up to be "sexy" or spookyglam
without any real ties to the culture, and very few images of hispanic
people celebrating the holiday in the same costumes. This has been an
on-going problem with non-cultural DDLM celebrations for decades now. It
would be aggravating to see sudoroom add to that kind of cultural
colonization by privileged groups.

-hep

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Ben Burke <benjaminburke at me.com> wrote:

> I think maybe people just want to dress up like this:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=dia+de+los+muertos&tbm=isch
>
> ...which can totally be part of a Halloween party instead.
>
> On Oct 24, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Hep Svadja <hepkitten at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi guys:
>
> a little bothered by the cultural appropriation of this event. as a Bay
> Area Hispanic I find it quite strange when groups of mostly white people
> with no ties to the actual culture of ddlm host events not in the actual
> spirit of this extremely reverent Hispanic holiday. basically if you don't
> build an ofrenda on your ancestors' graves every year i find it really
> problematic to be jumping aboard this holiday as you are clearly not of
> this culture. using it as an excuse for a dance party is even more
> questionable as is encouraging people with no understanding of this
> cultural holiday to dress up, which i understand is for the best of reasons
> but also pretty exploitative of a culture you don't belong to.  what is
> wrong with just making this a Halloween party and not contributing to the
> ongoing exploitation of local Hispanic communities of color?
>
> -hep
>
> * edited this to be less of a jerk.
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM, yar <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Lesley Bell <zvezdalune at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > The Omni needs funds.  Dia de los Muertos is a thing. We would like to
>> > introduce new people to the space and expand our community.
>> >
>> > I have attached a flyer for a possible event, a funky transhumanist/Dia
>> de
>> > los Muertos themed costume ball.  Should this happen? Is there a reason
>> > anyone would like to block?
>> >
>> > Also, steampunk zombies! Mechanical corpses! Post-singularity glittery
>> > things covered in LEDs! Ordinary awesome humans!
>>
>> Looks fun! Right now the way to book events is:
>>
>> 1) check the calendar for conflicts:
>> https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Calendar
>>
>> 2) submit this form: bit.ly/omniballroom
>>
>> Full explanation and future changes to the process will go here:
>> https://omnicommons.org/wiki/How_to_book_events
>>

> --
>
>     HEPIC PHOTOGRAPHY
> 415 867 9472 || http://hepic.net