[sudo-discuss] attempted robbery outside omni

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Oct 13 17:31:20 PDT 2014

Last night, Sunday Oct. 12th at about 11:30 PM about four of us were
sitting outside omni on the chairs behind the stop sign.

A few people came up on a diagonal path toward us, but many of them did
not seem headed toward us.  One person seemed to be pulling or pushing
another younger person with him, and they were headed closest to us.

Then this guy started acting weird, stuck both of his hands deep into his
pants (which were very loose) and started moving in and out of peoples
personal spaces.  He said something i don't remember, and I asked him what
he was doing.  but then he said "How much money y'all got?"

everyone answered "none, we don't have any money." making it clear that
we were not intimidated.  He said he was going to "blast" the place up,
trying to suggest that he had a gun and he was going to start shooting.

I don't think any of the other people in his group were supporting his
actions, at least they were not close to us.  Maybe the small person he
had been pushing/pulling but i don't remember.

Then he started getting in my personal space, and I thought that he might
try something physical with us, or try to grab someone's bag (like mine)
so the next time he moved back, I jumped up and ran inside the omni,
yelling "I AM CALLING THE POLICE!" out the door.  I think he moved to grab
or follow me inside, but the others outside stood up and complicated
things for him.

I ran inside and stashed my bag and told people inside to come outside
right away.  Someone grabbed a fire extinguisher in case a weapon was
needed, but when we got outside he was already leaving I think.

The point is, we should discuss best practices in situations like these,
and also discuss a sign that should be placed inside the omni advising
people who will be sitting outside to prepare for this type of situation.

probably a sign reminding people of the possibility of this or worse
happening, and a suggestion to avoid being alone outside, especially with
your laptop or phone out, especially late at night, unless you are aware
and prepared for what might happen.

this situation worked out well enough, but it could have gone differently.

this certainly will not be the last time something like this happens.

-jake